Poor idle/Carbon Build-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor idle/Carbon Build-up

94 SL 750, SBT engine, carbon tech reeds, removed choke plates, 35 lph 3 outlet pump, rebuilt stock carbs, POP was 16, now 12psi, lowjet was 75, now 80, New flame arrest.

Fine tuning lows: I turned lowspeeds out till hesitation went away, all out 3/4. If I let it idle it slowly declines in rpm, never stopping, very rough idle, plugs look the same. When its on the trailer to be flushed, it takes awhile for it to come back down to idle after I snap it Throttle response seems very good thou.

How much carbon should I expect to be built up after 12 hrs on sbt engine? The #1 cylinder is starting to turn burnish, but 2 looks wet and 3 has some oily streaks starting to form on top of it. Sound like #2 and #3 are rich? Plugs look good, seems to run good and strong at high rpms.

Thanks
    Tim

Can't say for sure what your carbon patterns should look like on a basically stock ski - You should have some, but I'm not sure you will get very defined patters, none to worry about anyway.

I think your pop-off is WAY low - why did you drop it??

Comment

Cuz I read and some people hinted that I would need to drop POP for new flame arrest/removed chokes. Maybe not...

Tim

Comment

It totally depends on what ski, and what FA you are going to and from. I think you need to raise it at least 5 psi.

Comment

I agree with Bryan! Your pop off pressure should be around 16 lbs to work the best. If your engine is calling for more fuel at low speeds due to the carb mods you have done than richen the low speed Jet itself. Trying to fine tune with pop off pressure is very difficult to maintain consitancy in your fuel burn(color) on the piston. Also what type of Oil are you using and are you pre-mixing your fuel. If you are than remember that oil in the gas pulls the fuel octane rating down and can cause detonation. The type/amount of oil you are using can also cause different readings on the plug and the piston then you are use to seeing. Some parafeen based oils leave a black residue on the piston top after combustion, and could also be what you are seeing. Try using a different fuel also, as gas with additives will also burn with a different color of ash, usually the more additives in the fuel the more ash left on the piston. By additives I mean what the Fuel company has blended with the current fuel you are using to meet the Federal Emmision Standards. Fuel blended for Northern Michigan is different then the fuel sold in Florida!

Comment

I am premixing with regular (I think 83 octane) pump gas and Penzoil 100% Synthetic. Should I use a higher octane fuel?

Comment

83?! Can you even buy that in the US? Use 87.

Comment

its 87, I said I think [img]/graemlins/cwm27.gif[/img]

Comment

Since you are premixing your fuel I would recomend nothing less than 89 octane. Try mixing 92 octane with what you have in your tank now and see if you plug color changes. Have you cut your heads or checked your squish clearance ???

Comment

Got engine from sbt, sure they did all the cutin and squishin it needs. I just want to put fuel/oil in it and drive :D

Comment

Well, I raised the PO pressure back to 16psi(stock). It made idle a bit smoother but the lows speed screws had to go from 1 turn to 2 turns out (stock = 1/2 turn out), to get good response when I snap the throttle. It still loads up, and has a slow return to idle, and white smoke when at idle. What else can I do? I already went up low jet size from 70 to 75. Should I keep going up in sizes until low speed screws are around 1 turn out and it doesn’t load up?? Wouldnt think removing the choke plates and new flame arrest would be such a change. Old stock flame arrest looked pretty restrictive free so new arrest I wouldnt think it would affect it so much...argh. Getting good at taking carbs off thou [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks
                      Tim

[ July 30, 2002, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Tazass ]

Comment

70 to 75 may have not been enough. If you could have tuned it to 2 turns out I'd say ok, but it sounds like you are still lean. Keep going.

Comment

I have to agree... go for a larger jump on the jets, try 80-85 down low... then work on the highs.

[ July 31, 2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Skexies ]

Comment

Working...
                          X