SL 900 starter bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL 900 starter bolts

While riding the jetski the starter bolts loosened and allowed the starter to come out. I noticed there was no loctite used previously so that would explain why they came loose. I found miscellaneous nuts and bots underneath the engine, but the 2 bolts I found that appear to be the starter bolts are approximately 3/4" long (threaded portion), 3/16" wide. It has a 10mm head. Does this sound like the right bolts for the starter? The reason I ask is they screw into the block just fine, but don't want to tighten up. The threads look in good shape so I am having trouble believing the threads in the block are stripped. The bolt is also made of aluminum or some alloy as a magnet will not stick to it. Here is a picture of the bolt

Thanks

[ July 17, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

those bolts are stainless, that's why a magnet
    won't pick them up, the are very hard material
    compared to the aluminum block. If you can't
    tighten them up, your threads in the block are
    damaged. If that's the case you will have to
    buy a "helicoil" insert kit to fix this. Also get your self a factory service manual and torque
    wrenches if you don't have these items already
    they will pay for them selves many times over.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I do have a manual, but it's a Clymer, not a factory one. It is helpful for the most part, but probably not as good as a factory one. The Clymer had a picture of the bolt and starter, but not the bolt alone.

I have heard of heilcoils but do not know how they work. Is this something that can be done with the exhaust removed but the engine still sitting in the hull (about 12" of clearance from the side of the hull)? Or is there not enough room. Also, I noticed the threads are in a big tab of metal off the block and it appears there is a lot of metal left in there. Would it be advisable to drill deeper into that by about a 1/4" and tap that and then use a longer bolt? Or would that just be plain stupid?

Thanks

Comment

That would be bad. Use the helicoil insert kit like jetranger said. U should be able to do it with engine in hull. I broke of a starter bolt once and drilled it out with the engine in the hull, exhaust removed and a 90-degree angle drill. Not very easy but can be done. Helps to have someone hold flashlight and a little mirror to help guide.

Good luck [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        Tim

[ July 17, 2002, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Tazass ]

Comment

Check the depth of the threads in the block. Alot of times they will fill with sand or debris and the bolt bottoms out. I would run a bottom tap into the hole in the block and try the next size longer bolt. Those seem short for that application. The stock bolt measures 1 3/8" and your's appear to be only 3/4. :D

[ July 18, 2002, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Tim ]

Comment

Thanks all for the good advice.

Tim-

I kind of think you are right about the bolts. The size of these seem fairly puny considering what they are securing and also see how much casting was made off the block. It really appears that it wants to take a longer bolt. I will make sure that there is no debris in there and if I cannot get the bolt to go in there, then I guess a helicoil will be my answer. Also, since the threaded portion of my bolt is only 3/4" - I think those might be too small.

Thanks again for all your help. Tim, I sure wish you would open a shop out here. Our local Polaris shop SUCKS! If all the Polaris dealers were as helpful as you, they would probably sell twice as many.

Comment

this is slightly off topic but, once the two bolts are out of the bracket which secures the starter to the block what else is retaining the starter or should it take a little muscle to remove it?

Comment

It takes muscle. Wiggling it with both hands, pushing and pulling usually does it but a slight tap with a rubber mallet is sometimes needed for encouragement.

Comment

Working...
                X