'99 slth running bad after jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 slth running bad after jump

Yesterday I caught some great air on the river. But after I landed the motor started running poorly. I could only use 1/4 throttle to get back to the dock. I removed the spark aresstor and found grayish slime on the throats of the carbs. (water) I then wiped out what I could and test ran. Theere was some improvement then at an instant the boat jerked and full power came back. So I thought all is good. So we went back out. After running at part throttle for a little while I went to open it up and found no top end. So I rode a little longer then performance dropped again. I headed in and brought it home. At home I pulled the plugs again seem ok. Also the carbs were pretty clean, sparyed just a little carb cleaner after wiping them out. Started it up idles fine, has a snappy response to the throttle. But if you hold it wide open for a sec it does not run smooth. Any help is appreciated.

PS: I called a local Polaris dealer, who used to deal with watercraft (where I bought it), and he said it *might* just be the rev-limiter? Any thoughts?

Kinda sounds liek you have some water in your gas tank/lines. I would clean it out and use some dry-gas.

Comment

On the same subject, My 900zxi does not have a water separator and runs like a top.. never a sign of water in the gas tank or anything

Yet my 92 x2 has a water separator and always seems to have a mix of water and gas in it. I empty it when there is anything in it and its always milky or has a separate layer of water and gas.

Why does this happen? I do have the o ring on the separator bowl and i tighten it down pretty tight.

Comment

On some skis the main filter doubles as a water separator. I would bet that you have at some point run a bit of water through your ski and just didn't run enough to realize it. I have a water separator on my GP1200 and have only seen water in it once in 5 years.

Comment

I rode both days out on Clinton in Lawrence this weekend and both times the gas in there was cloudy. The gas in the tank however is clear. This is on a small public lake, not the ocean, however, I did sub the x2 a couple times and did flip it in the water also.

There is no main filter on this pwc, only the internal one on the carb which, incidentally, is still off.

Comment

Then you are asking for trouble [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, but it doesnt explain where the water is coming from. How does water get into a closed fuel system? The tank is not semi-permeable membrane, so osmosis is out of the question.

Comment

It gets in when you fill, it gets in from condensation, and it gets in if you flip the ski over and have enough water inside.

Comment

I had a similar problem with mine.

I found that after a nice smack-down landing... my water box slipped off the exhaust hose.

Check all your hoses and fittings. Make sure nothing is torn, loose, or dislodged.

For me, the grey mist was the exhaust fumes / moisture I was breathing back into the intake.

Just a thought... ;)
                  -Skexies

Comment

My ski is still not running correctly. I changed plugs, check for water in the separator. Put it back in the water. Ran a little better on the low end but I have no top end performance. Check the water box. All seems good there. What else?

Comment

Working...
                    X