Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

That nut is actually a grease fitting, I forget what they call those, but that is for greasing the splines on the drive shaft and coupler. You can get by using a regular grease gun and putting directly over hole and pump a few times not to much. not filling the thing. As far as grease is concerned, I recommend a marine lithium grease, but I am not sure what others use. And the sound you here could be the stator bearings which are not serviceable, you have to pull the pump and see if you can turn your impellor by hand, if you can easily then they are fine, if not you need to have new bearings pressed in. That is usually were the sound is coming from.
    Hope this helps.

It's called a Zerk fitting.

Comment

Okay... I found a nut just posterior to the back edge of the coupler shroud. I removed it and noticed that the tip of it had old grease on it. I'm assuming that this is the bearing housing and that the hole is for greasing? I was looking for a nipple to grease earlier. Anyway, what type of grease should I use on the bearings in my '94 SL 650?
      A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Comment

I know that bryan, but is there not a technical term for that flat style zerk fitting? I always thought that zerk fitting name was the kind that most grease guns fit onto. Is there a special adapter for that nut looking one??
        Just curious

Comment

Okay,
          I filled that grease reservoir with Valvoline SynPower synthetic lithium grease. I didn't use the marine grease... will this matter or did I goof? I hope not....
          A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Comment

That grease should be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X