Toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toast?

Well, got my craft to the water yesterday and its still wouldn't do well after the carb rebuilds and all new reeds.

Took it to the shop nearby and while I was telling the mechanic about my problems I also said it seem like there was a lot of oil/grease spitting out by the rear shaft where it leaves the case. He looked at that and said I had a rear main seal out, that the rear cylinder was sucking air and leaning the machine out, was likely the cause of all my problems (bogging down in low speed takeoffs).

Throwing this idea up to Bryan, John and company for their thoughts - could this be it? If so, I'm going to pull the motor myself and take it to someone to split the case and put a new seal in. Just hope the cylinders aren't scored also - in that case a call to SBT may be made.

Looks like it may be the end of the season (or at least a temporary time out) for me. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Yes, if the rear seal is gone, you need to break it down for repair and inspection.

Comment

If your rear seal is out most likely your crankshaft is out of index. It definetly will cause the bogging problems you have. I would not just put in a new seal without having someone check the crank index. Maybe time for a rebuilt crank. :D

Comment

I say again, [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Oh well. Can't learn about these things if I don't get into 'em, huh? I only wish I didn't have to learn so fast.

Going to pull the heads tonight to see where I stand on cylinder/piston damage.

Comment

Whoever I get to do the job will do it right, thanks Tim.

I have to weigh spending big bucks to fix vs. simply ordering a rebuilt motor. I can do that myself, I'm sure.

Comment

I pulled the heads this evening, and all is quite well. The pistons were intact, and the cylinder walls were clean and smooth. I could see how the rear cylinder was running lean from the leak in the main seal - it was dry and fairly clean (TOO clean - plug was spotless, looked like new), while the center and front were mildly residued (looked like they should be under normal conditions).

I'm going to work on pulling the motor now, and find someone to do the case work for me.

Season may not be over yet, if I have anything to do with it.

[ August 05, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: ShowMeSLT750 ]

Comment

Working...
            X