Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with this one...

Okay,
    I bought my '94 SL 650 as one of a pair of skis (the other is a Yamaha) back in June. I read somewhere on here about a guy having problems with suction in his fuel tank. My problem is that I have no pressure or suction. My fuel gauge doesn't work, and the float unit in the tank evidently is the cause. I have no way of testing this however, but it appears that the unit has been replaced before because someone tried to use a silicone sealant to seal the holes in the top of the fuel tank on the plate where the wires go through to the float unit. The silicone sealant didn't work and the tank will leak small amounts of fuel if I fill the tank too full. The ski runs fairly well although it smokes like it's on fire when it's at idle. It doesn't have quite the throttle response I feel like it should have and it behaves sluggish at times when going to wide open from idle. I would like to fix the fuel gauge because it would be nice to know how much fuel I have without asking my wife how much is left in her ski (as a rough estimate), and I'm thinking about reworking all of the fuel lines and rebuilding the carbs. I've never attempted anything like this before and I'm a little nervous about it. I bought a SELOC tune up and repair manual that covers this ski, but I thought I would check with you guys and see what thoughts/advice you might have about the condition of my ski (based on what I've given you) and on my intentions to rework the fuel system and carbs. Thanks!!...
    A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Meant to add this in the earlier post... The guy that owned the ski before me was using an Autolite 63 plug in it, which corresponds to an NGK BPR6ES instead of the BPR7ES stock plug. I'm not sure why he was using this plug. I know it is a hotter plug and I feel he may have been using it to burn off some of the excess oil the ski uses... please advise on this as well... I don't want to grenade any cylinders.
    A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Comment

Anybody?!?

Comment

You need to pressurize the fuel system and fix and leaks - and do NOT use the hotter plugs or you will melt the pistons! Use the NGKs only.

Comment

My newly rebuilt 94 SLT750 smokes a lot when idling also. I plan on trying full synthetic oil the next time I have to buy oil to see if it helps. Other than that, my ski rattles enough to wake the dead at idle.

Comment

Bryan,
            I tried switching back to the recommended plug, but I only got about two runs out of the ski before the plugs fouled out.

Comment

Then you either have a mechanical issue like low compression, or the carbs aren't tuned right, etc.

Comment

Well,
                I bought a compression gauge this afternoon on the way home from work. My wife left with my tools so I had to use the plug tool that's in the tool pack that comes with the ski. I was only able to get the plug out of the third cylinder, and the compression gauge said that it is at about 85psi. I'm a little disappointed... I had hoped it was just the carbs, but I have no idea about the history of the engine in this ski. I'll check the other two cylinders later and see what they read. :( I removed the fuel gauge sending unit last night and sealed up the hole with a new piece of aluminum, a rubber gasket, and some Seal All sealant/adhesive. Attrition sure is a pain in the butt.

Comment

Okay,
                  I went back and read your compression test guide in your technical section and realized that there are a couple of things I did wrong when testing yesterday. I didn't open up the throttle when turning the motor over... and I used the 1/2" thread on the gauge instead of the 3/4" adapter. I'm going back and retesting all cylinders this afternoon the "right" way... hopefully I'll get another 30 psi out of it. Thanks a bunch for all of your advice and comments...

Comment

Did your wife leave for good with your tools?, or just when you needed to use them?

Comment

Just when I needed to use them. She couldn't leave her hunka hunka burnin love... :D

Even if she had left for good... she wouldn't know what to do with my box full of tools...

Comment

can i ask how you managed to fit a 1/2" adapter into a 3/4" hole?????

Comment

Reach, not diameter

Comment

Sorry,
                            I meant to say reach. I guess I wasn't clear enough. Either way it didn't change the reading. It still read 110-110-80 on the three cylinders, and I'm still bummed out about it. I still can't decide what I need to do, and I'm not sure if I want to tear it down when it still runs good and since I've never done anything like that before. Anyway, I guess I'll figure something out. :(

Comment

Sorry, but that's shot, and will only get worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X