2000 Polaris SLH 700 SBT install..oil usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Polaris SLH 700 SBT install..oil usage

I just finished installing an SBT engine in a 2000 SLH for a guy. He called last night and said it did not seem to be using much oil. I told him to go ahead and add more SBT break in oil to the gas (up to the non-injection level) just to be safe and to mark the oil tank and monitor the usage. I tested the pump with a drill during installation and it is functioning. My questions are:
    1. Is there a priming procedure for these pumps and could an air bubble keep it from functioning for a long (hours) period?

2. If I can convince this guy to go pre-mix is it kosher to simply remove the oil drive gear (slot) and plug the lines?

Thanks, JC

Testing with a drill doesn't tell you squat. If you spun it clockwise you can quickly damage the pump.

No you cannot just remove the driveshaft - you risk an airleak. Get a block-off kit with a plate if you want to go pre-mix.

Comment

I am new (1.5 yrs) to PWCs but not to motors or mechanics in general. I don't understand your comment that it doesn't mean squat to test with a drill (and..no I did not spin it backwards). It's a pump.. I spun it about 600 rpm and it pumped oil. That said and knowing the pump is functional how about the air bubbles and priming question? JC

Comment

Because spinning it at 600 RPM doesn't mean it's producing full output at 7000 RPM, like it will approach when running, and is critical, on the ski.

An air bubble could certainly prevent flow if it was stuck in the feed tube. Most have a bleed screw in the center of the pump, some are self-bleeding with return lines. To prime the injection lines, idel the engine and manually advance the pump cam.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. JC

Comment

Working...
          X