No power on 1992 SLT650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power on 1992 SLT650

My friend and his son flipped my 92 SLT 650 today.
    A very stable model, it thought it was very unlikely that this would happen to them, I failed to inform them to rotate it counterclockwise if they did flip it. They ended up rotating it clockwise. :( When they told me what had happened, they indicated that they smelled strong gasoline odor after they uprighted the craft. After they started it, the jetski has little power. Can only get it to about 20-25 mph top end and little accelation.

Some facts.

1. Little to no water in the hull.
    2. Pulled the plugs...no water in the cylinders

Any advice would be appreciated to solve this problem.

Check compression. Make sure all spark plugs are firing too. Does the engine vibrate more than normal now?

Comment

Compression on the cylinders are

100 psi, 125 psi and 120 psi: front cylinder to rear cylinder respectively.

There is spark on all three plugs

The engine does not vibrate any more or less than the event

Also, I checked the vacuum line on the fuel pump to see if had plugged with sludge....The line seems to be clear and seems to pulse just fine.

Also, my polaris was just running fine until the undersireable event occurred [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

Comment

The compression difference is too much between cylinders. The mag (front) piston could have seized and that's why you have so much lower compression in it. Maybe the compression was the same before it was flipped? Even though no water blew out when you checked it, maybe a little did get in and could be enough to get one of the plugs wet and not fire right. I would try new plugs first. Even a little bit of water can damage the reeds. Broken reeds will make a ski run bad. Your big concern should be the low compression in the mag. If you end up pulling the cylinders off to do a top end job (or just to inspect), I think you will find seizure marks on the intake side, meaning either slight water ingestion or lack of fuel? Being a 92, you might just have wear and tear and it's a good idea to do a top end on it anyway or even consider an SBT swap. You get a fully rebuilt bottom to top engine with a 1 year warranty. At least pull the head and inspect the mag bore. Maybe you can get away with just a hone and new rings?

Comment

Originally posted by SeaLion:
          Maybe the compression was the same before it was flipped?
          Meaning the mag might have still been low and not that they were all pretty even. Even like you describe, it will run better than your described 20-25 mph. It sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders and not 3. Try new plugs first and then consider the rest that I posted.

Comment

Working...
          X