update filter kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update filter kit

Hey everyone just wanted to say again love this site you guys are very helpfull.I just installed airfilter update kit on my 95 sl650.I put the new main jets in that came with the kit that replaced the stock ones from 87.5's to 105's.I had a little trouble tuning in was running very rich turned the back of my ski black.After pulling off the air box 3 times to adjust high speed jets finally got to run at full rpm but I had to run screw all the way in and backed out only 1/2 turn on high and 1/4 turn on low I thought this would run real lean but this is the only way it ran good out of the hole and on top end.Pulled plugs after running hard and the look nice a brownish type color.Does this sound o.k. to have high side and low sid turned out so little the 105's compared to 87.5's were big so I thought this would be o.k. sence plugs don't show a lean run and performance was night and day feels like 2 or 3 mph better and comes out of hole nice.I have a lighter pop off spring in also the silver one stock heads milled .15 can I run vp 105 octane in my ski or is it better not to.And now that i have this done im going to get that high flow fuel pump.Does anyone no were i can get a good but not to much money grate plate jetski mechanic has one for 89.00 but i thought i saw one on a web site for like 40.00

[ October 25, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: jaybirdjetski ]

$89 for the grate or the OP plate? Believe it or not, Polaris sells the grate for around $40. It used to be $25. Aftermarket shops sell it for $99. The reason Polaris has it so cheap is because R&D makes it for them and is the same as the R&D that performance shops sell. It was a stock grate on a few Polaris models. Still the price from Polaris is really cheap. I never understood that but I'm not complaining. I personally would not put a top loader on the SL650. Get the OP rideplate instead. It is the best bang for the buck.

Comment

hey sealion so your saying i should put a rideplate on instead of grate plate.My origanal grate has straight louvers going parelle with the ski i thought after market will direct water flow in impeller better

Comment

Yes it will but it will also act like a shovel protruding down and making you lose top speed. You just don't have enough power in a stock SL650 to have to go to a top loader. You will get much more enjoyment out of the OP rideplate.

Comment

Thanks for the info sealion where can I get a op rideplate at a good price?I don't have major work done to my ski but i have the stock heads milled .15 and update airfilter which came with 105 main jets that replaced my stock 87.5's the ski feels alot better out of the hole.Can I use vp 105 octane in this motor with these minor upgrades?I also changed the pop off spring to a lower one which was silver when I rebuilt the carbs

Comment

You can contact Ken from OP at 1-800 -553-6650 . Whoever did the head mod should tell you the minimum recommended octane. There is absolutely no benefit to using higher octane than needed. It is a waste of money and can lower performance. For example, if your head mod was considered a pump gas 91 or 92 octane design than run that octane?

Comment

Thanks for the info sealion I have 93 octane here in Florida where I live so i'll stick to it and go with the ride plate so I don't loose my top end speed.From what I understand the sl650 and not the std sl650 that I don't have has 95 hp stock is this correct'I read in a article that the 92 sl650 was the fastest factory ski you could buy then is this correct

Comment

SL650 has 68hp. Back in 92 it was the fastest and the first 3 cylinder.

Comment

WOW::::::that breaks my heart i thought at least 85 to 95 hp its not that slow and comes out of the hole nice my friend clocked me at 42 mph and now at 45 mph with little mods done not much though.Carbs are rejetted for airfilter update and heads milled.Going to buy a OP ride plate from a buddy online is there anything else I can do to make a little more top end?Going to put fuel pump update on next so I don't burn pistons has stock reeds runs like new should I put a nice set of reeds on next or leave alone.Has stock stainless steel imppeller thought of having repitched but was told it came with a nice perf. pitch already for the power it has.So the hole story is is it worth doing more work to or just leave it alone.You know the old saying if it's not broke leave it alone;PS what kind of polarise are you riding sealion it looks like after handlebars on yours were did you get them

[ October 28, 2002, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: jaybirdjetski ]

Comment

The best mod would be 3/8" reed cage spacers and carbon fiber reeds, Boyesen RAD Valves or V-Force II reeds. The Rad valves already come with the cage spacers. The least expensive option is the spacers and reeds.

I have a 96 SLX780. The stock steering is gone in favor of a UMI adjustable with Blaster bend bars.

Comment

where would be the best place to get the spacers and reeds?

Comment

http://www.boyesen.com sells both the spacers and the reeds. Also http://www.choppercity.com sells spacers but they are not anodized like the Boyesens. Make sure the hardware comes with them because it requires longer studs. You will also need more gaskets, but all you need should be in the kits. This will boost bootom to mid performance and make the reeds last a long time (they are moved away from the crank's turbulence). You might get a slight top end gain also but don't expect a night and day difference from what you have now?

Comment

I forgot to mention that Polaris also sells them because they came stock on the 780s but they might cost more from Polaris. The Chopper City ones that I got back in 96 for my SL750 didn't fit too well and I had to grind on them to clear the screw heads that mount the reeds to the cages. Maybe QC has gotten better at Chopper City since then?

Comment

Working...
                          X