Special tool for Solas Impeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special tool for Solas Impeller?

When I rebuilt my pump last summer, I got given to me an impeller tool that I used to take off and replace my Polaris impeller. No problems, worked like a charm.

Now, I buy a new Solas Concord impeller, PA-CD-12/18. I took the pump off, removed the old impeller with the tool I had. I tried to put the new Solas on, and !#$, the tool doesn't fit. However, when I test-fit the impeller in the wear ring area, it fits like a charm in the hole and onto the driveshaft.

What's up here? Does the Solas take a different impeller tool, even though theoretically the splines should be exactly the same since it's the same polaris driveshaft? I want to torque the new Solas properly, not just screw it on and guess at how tight it is (I don't operate that way).

Puzzled. Thanks in advance for responses.

SeaLion, where are you?? I know you'd know!Help! :D

Comment

That is odd. It should fit. Did you remove the rubber boot on the Solas? I bought a Solas years ago and put it on when I had my pump apart just to make sure it fit. It did and the tool went in no prob. My concern was that with the s.s. stator, the solas doesn't fit right. I would have had to have the lip on the stator machined off so I just ended up never trying out the Solas. With the aluminum stator I think it works fine. Describe how it doesn't fit. Does it not go in at all or the splines don't line up?

Comment

the impeller will go on the machine, and onto the shaft. But the tool will NOT go into the impeller where the shaft would go. They both have the same number of splines, but they appear to be off a little bit.

I do have the SS stator, but that seems to fit the impeller right. (the other one I bought by mistake didnt - it was the 146 mm and not 148)

It's got me scratching my head in wonder.

Comment

Hhmm? I just don't get it. So it goes into the impeller but the splines won't align? On the same note, the driveshaft goes right in. Sorry but without looking at it in my hands, I don't know what to say. As far as the 146 vs. 148, yeah that would be a problem [img]smile.gif[/img] I have a 148 Solas but it is the super camber and not the newer concord so maybe you lucked out on it seating properly on the s.s. stator.
          Will the toll go on the old impeller right now? The reason I ask is that you might have bent it even though you took off the other impeller.

Comment

I checked it again tonight. My thought on this is that I've simply got the wrong tool for the job, it's too big. It fits on my old impeller because the splines aren't as tight as a new one, it's about as old as the boat, 7 years. The drive shaft has loosened them up a bit over the years.

I'm going to go by Seebold tomorrow anyway, and I'll take my impeller to them to see if the tools they have fit.

Couldn't have bent this one, it's only about 2 inches long.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

By the way, I personally would have the SS stator machined before I would go back to an aluminum. The last one I had was ripped up bad, the SS is worth the extra time and $.

[ December 06, 2002, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: ShowMeSLT750 ]

Comment

Made it to Seebold Sports yesterday. The parts counter didn't have a tool that would fit the Solas, so we went to the shop. The mechanics had a tool that fit, but very snugly. They were surprised too that my tool didn't work. We got the new impeller tightened on, and it spins very nice, on the SS impeller by the way.

They did me one more very nice gesture, GAVE me a worn out but useable on both ends driveshaft that fits nicely. (Thanks again Seebold guys, above and beyond the call) I'm going to cut the ends off and make 2 tools for my use - anyone have ideas for a person w/o a welder how to do this easily? As I see it, I can either have a nut welded on the top, or can somehow machine a pentagon shape for a socket to fit. Any other ideas?

Thanks too, Sealion, for responding. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

ShowMe

Comment

you could just make 2 flats (grinder) on either side of the shortened shaft, enough for a wrench to grab. How often do you take your impeller off?

If its a lot, get it welded, otherwise 2 flats will do.

Comment

Thanks, I may do that at least on one of them. Might get more fancy on the other cause I would like to be able to torque to manufacturers spec. I suppose I could get close on the torque though.

Comment

Working...
                  X