Starting problem 1995 650SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem 1995 650SL

I have had my ski out twice this year. Ran fine both times once I got it started. However, now I can't get it to start. It cracks fine, but won't fire up. I got it started once after the second ride on the hose at home. This was after changing out the fuel filters and cleaning the fuel water separator. I have already replaced the battery, even though it turned the ski over just fine. It was the original battery believe it or not, and I thought it was just a good idea to put it out to pasture. Here are my questions:

1. How can I tell for sure if it is the kill switch?
    2. Where can I get the parts to replace it?
    3. Why is it a no no to starve 2 cycle engines of gas if you are not going to ride them for a while?
    4. What is a stator, and CDI and what is their function in starting the ski?

I know this is alot, but I'm new to the forum, and I went back in the archives but couldn't find the answers. Thanks to any and all for the help!

Try taking a plug out, putting it in the boot and ground it to the head while you crank it over - you should see a small spark. Then try taking the plugs out and putting a table sppon of fuel down each plug hole directly - it should at least burp over for a second if you have compression and spark.

If you see spark it's not your switch. You can get a new assembly from a Polaris Dealer.

If you run it till there is no more gas inthe lines you can very easily run it so lean you get detonation damage in the time you do it. Never run a PWC dry to store it - use fuel stabilizer. These are not 4-strokes and are very suseptible to oil and detonation failures when they run out of fuel/oil.

The stator is like a generator - it produces AC that is then converted to DC to run the ski. The CDI is the ignition computer.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

DO NOT TAKE A PLUG OUT AND PUT IT IN THE BOOT AND GROUND IT TO THE HEAD UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE AN EXPLOSION AND OR FIRE, ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU HAVE BEEN TRYING TO START THIS BOAT AND IT WOULD NOT FIRE. ALL OF THE PREVIOUS UNBURNT FUEL AND GASES ARE STILL IN THE CYLINDER AND WILL FIRE IF IGNITIED. If you find it necessary to check spark only use a spark plug tester and do not remove the plugs in the engine.
      Make sure that the current spark plugs are not wet fouled from the previous attempt to start your boat , this is very likely!!

Any professional watercraft mechanic will be able to check the stator with a multitester to see if it is working.

Never put raw fuel in the cylinder if possible, remove your air filter and check for fuel delivery thru the carbs first, this should be easily visable.

If your motor has proper compression and fuel it should start. From the sound of your post it sounds as if maybe you have a fuel delivery problem(fuel pump possibly) or carbs that need rebuilt.
      You could also have water in your fuel that could be a reason that your plugs are fouled (if they are) GOOD LUCK :D

Comment

Working...
      X