1997 SL 1050 oil pump adj/hooter plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 SL 1050 oil pump adj/hooter plug

I just completed rebuilding the carbs (3) on my 1997 Polaris Sl 1050 after a no idle problem. I found dirt plugging the 2 of the three carb inlet filters. I replaced the needle valves and set pop-off pressure. I took it to the lake and after adjusting the low speed screws (no high speed screw) machine runs generally great. But I do notice when idling for a minute and then try to accelerate, it stumbles. It acts like it's slightly fouled. I recently adjusted the oil pump per factory specs (lined-up the marks; it was off about an 1/8th inch). I am thinking of readjusting the oil pump back the way it was to see if this helps. What are your thoughts? Also I am running one-step hotter plug. Should I try going another step hotter? I don't want to wreck the motor. Or am I just being too picky!! Thanks for your input.

Do NOT run a hotter plug! your carb settings are thrown way out of whack if your heat rang is not correct! You may need to raise your po-off but you won't know until you correct your plugs and retune the low.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It seems like this "stumbling" problem is common on '97'SL1050'S.

It still seems to me like the head / piston crown cool down enough after a minute or more of 'no wake' running to cause the stumble.
      Anyway , I have not been able to tune it out with carb adjustments , and have long since learned to live with it.
      Always WOT !!!

Comment

You could be right! I think the machine "loads up" with oil during extended idling/no wake zone riding. But because you can't adjust this, I can't prove it. My machines are strong runners otherwise and this minor issue will be lived with. I'm headed to Lake Macatawa next week for two weeks! (I see you'refrom Holland). Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X