92 SL650 Hard starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 SL650 Hard starting?

I know this has been touched on before but.....My recently rebuilt 92 Sl 650 always seems hard to start when cold. (all the proper mod's...new 780 fuel pump etc. ) Have to crank forever and then when it does start it has loaded up soo bad with fuel and oil, its kills mosquitoes in the entire neighborhood! Running on the water, it screams. 120 PSI in each cylinder. EGT's installed. Got the low speed screws as lean as I can to avoid excess smoke and loading up while idling and still not bogging on take off. If I richen up any it will smoke quite a bit. When the motor is hot, it starts alot easier, but you still have to give it throttle while cranking.
    There does not seem to be any fuel dripping down the carb while idling, but I have noticed on the EGT that no matter how lean #3 carb's low speed screw is, it won't burn as hot as the othe 2 cylinders at idle. I am about to sell this ski and want to make it as trouble-free for the client as I can.
    And let me add..... I frequent many other boards for boats and a variety of things but this is BY FAR the best, most serious..NO BS ANSWERS to make newbies feel stupid board I have ever visited. Keep it up guys..
    Jim

What pop-off are you running and what mods?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I replaced the original flame arrester with 3 flame arrestors that are polished aluminum with wire screen on the covers. look like little mushrooms. Don't know the brand. (ebay) I didnt change the pop-off pressure or the jets from the original. 80 lo jet---85 hi speed jet---2.0 NS-- I believe is the pop-off pressure is 38 psi.

Comment

When you go to aftermarket flame arrestors the pop-off needs to be lowered - set it between 20 and 25.

Comment

Ya know, something occurred to me as I was typing the last entry to this thread. When I first start it cold, Doing the normal drill, full choke, no throttle, crank untill it fires. But when it does finally fire and start, it is sooo loaded up with fuel and oil, it is flooded so bad and smokes horifically. So I decided to go outside this afternoon and try something out of the normal. No choke, No throttle, just start. Fired and ran great in 2 seconds. Go figure.
          Brian, can I test the pop-off pressure with the carbs on the ski? I know how to test off of the ski.

Comment

No, they need to be on the bench.

Comment

Brian, If you don't mind, Can you enlighten me on what the outcome is of lowering the pop-off? I realize that with the after-market flame arrestors, It creates a lean condition by increasing the airflow but how does lowering the pop-off help? Does it create a lean or a rich condition at idle to mid range?

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

It causes a lean condition because you have reduced the signal to the carbs witht he freer flowing filters. Pop-off must be matched so the needle and seat can open to let fuel flow.

Comment

Working...
                X