1994 SL750 Engine Seized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 SL750 Engine Seized?

Was riding yesterday for about 2 hours with no problems. Then all of a sudden the engine seemed to seize. The starter would not turn over the engine. I did not seem overly hot. Needless to say, I got towed in. Today I pulled the heads off and everything looks fine. I see no signs of over heating or scares on the cylinders. Then I thought maybe a bearing in the drive seized, so I pulled the drive. Still cannot rotate the crankshaft. The starter will only turn the crank a degree or 2 when I engage it. I have watched the engine make a complete revolution by doing this and see nothing. I’m lost to what is wrong. A little history about the engine: I have clocked about 15 hours this year. At the end of last year the stator failed due to a bad seal at that end of the engine. Before this season, I pulled the engine a broke the crankcase apart and replaced the seals at each end. I have also replaced the fuel pump with a 3-outlet high value pump. I don’t think it is a lean problem or an oil problem. Everything has been working fine until now. Anybody have a suggestion? Should I still pull the cylinders off? Could it be the crankshaft? :(

You have some bottom end damage - no choice but to pull the engine and at least tear it down for inspection.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

yea that'd be my guess, maybe a seized up main bearing on the crank.

Comment

So, what would cause a bearing to freeze up? If this is the problem, what damages can I expect to see?

Comment

Lots of things can cause it and lots of things can happen - no point in guessing, tear it down and find out.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X