Oil Filter Change + Bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Change + Bleeding

Hey guys, newbie here...new to the whole watercraft scene actually. Just bought my first about three months ago.
    I'm just getting into doing some routine PM stuff. I have a clymer manual for my '94 SL750 that tells me whenever I change the oil filter I need to bleed the oil lines from the bleeder screw on the oil pump, then observe and make sure there are no air bubbles in the oil lines.
    Am I missing something here? The oil pump is practically under the engine. How do I crack a bleeder screw, much less observe what is going on in the lines? Replacing the filter is easy - but unless I am 3 inches tall how get that far down to bleed the pump?
    I find the manual just assumes a lot of things without telling you the practical procedure of how to access things in the hull.
    Is there another way to bleed air? Or is it not that critical? Can anyone help??
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

you really do not need to change the filter very often at all. There is an 8mm bleeder screw on the pump itself. The oil lines should be clear and fairly easy to see.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the fast response! Since the machine is about 9 years old - and of unknown maintenance history - I thought I would change it. I did the fuel filter and ripped it open to find a good amount of particulates inside. But you are saying don't worry about the oil filter?
      WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

if the filter has never been changed in 9 years it would be a good idea to change it. However it is not like a 4-stroke which needs changing periodically. It is important that you bleed the oil lines.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

By all means replace it, in my opinion.

Just clamp off securely the oil line below the filter (the one that heads for the pump) as well as the one above the filter, and change the filter. Shouldn't be a problem if you keep air out of the lower line (like a thumb on a straw, you know). Once you've changed the filter and pulled the clamps, make sure to watch the air bubble in the filter flow up and into the reservior.

[ September 15, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: ShowMePro1200 ]

Comment

Wow. Very ingenious. Never thought of that. Thanks ShowMePro1200.
            WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

The ShowMePro1200 method will save you a lot of time. The oil pump on the '94 is not easy
              to get to. It is under the carbs and intake
              manifold and a real pain to bleed at the pump..

[ September 16, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: 99gp1200 ]

Comment

Working...
              X