Pump Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Extension

What is involved with installing a pump extension on an SL750? I installed an Ocean Pro ride plate a couple of months ago. I had heard that the pump extension is a nice compliment to the plate, but I have no idea what I might be getting myself into. Anybody done this before who might be able to give me some insight?
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

It should be nothing more than removing and reinstalling 8 or so bolts.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I think it involves more. Like longer steering cables, driveshaft, at least. Maybe also trim rod, water pipes...

Compare your model with one of the same vintage with an extended pump on Partsland.com.

There are a couple pumps on E-bay right now. I don't remember is they were extended ones though.

Comment

The extensions I'm framiliar with are like a thick pump wedge - after the impeller. Maybe the unit here is different.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

ShowMePro1200 - The one I was looking at is the one on ebay. Yes it does involve longer cables, driveshaft, etc. This is what was particularly daunting to me. This is my first ski, and while I am pretty well mechanically inclined - I fear getting in over my head - or creating problems where none exist. This extented kit must be moving everything further back - and from what I have read you want to do that as opposed to just increasing the legnth of the pump - because of the increased water volume needed to fill a longer pump housing. Am I correct?
          WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
          Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
          Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

Tech - the extended pump on the Polaris is about 4-5 inches of pump tube put in between the stator and the wear ring assembly.

Scottso - I also saw the unit on E-bay, looks like that kit may have most everything you need. But I have no experience with this and can offer no technical help. What I do know is yes, Polaris went to the extended pump on SLX's for increased speed (and other aspects), but apparently they started having mechanical problems with the driveshaft being too long and twisting shafts and cranks, and so to compensate they put the extension section behind the pump stator (it was in front before, necessitating the longer driveshaft). The result was an extended pump but a shorter driveshaft to protect the motors. Thats what I have on my Pro1200. Partsland can show this transition through the years of production I believe.

The individual you need to hook up with is SeaLion. I think he's done this conversion and can tell you all about it.

Comment

The pump extension is awesome. You will plane out much faster and have less porposing, that ride plate you put on is a must have item for this mod. I found my old thread from last year when I did this mod. It might be worth checking out.
              Old thread on pump extension

Good luck :D
              He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Working...
              X