Geneisis Siezed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneisis Siezed

OK Last year I bought a used 99 Genesis with a blown engine(rod though the block) and got a SBT motor put in. I'm not a mechanic so the local repair guy at the marina put it in. It ran perfectly for about the first couple tanks of gas then the front piston siezed. (We followed all the breaking instructions etc.) We sent the motor back and you replaced it. Put it in last fall and broke it in. Rode it yesterday with the last of the premix gas for a couple hours with no problem. When that premix tank was empty, 17 gallons on the Genesis, i filled up with regular gas and changed plugs. Rode it about 10 minutes (still with no continuous full throttle ) and it siezed. Now that this has happened it has occured to me that the oil level on the reservoir has not changed much through both these motors. So I am now assuming I have a bad oil pump. Or would it have siezed even with the premix if the pump is bad? I have not had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet. How do i verify if the punp is bad? I read your tech article about going to a premix system and I wonder if that is what I should do. Also will your warranty cover a second engine?

You cannot pre-mix an injected ski, and you have probably blown two good engines because yes, you have a bad pump.

Some dealers can test it, most cannot. It needs to be spun at 7000 RPM and the output measured.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

This is actually the carburated engine not the Genesis i.

I have one of those as well (Genesis i) which is a whole different nightmare.

Will your warranty cover another engine?

Comment

Ah, then yes you can block it off. Yes the warranty ocvers it.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info.

Comment

I premixed the oil on the engine that siezed and it is running great now. Runs 6600 RPM steady at full throttle. I assume however that because it siezed once it is damaged and I need to send it back to SBT. Is that a correct assumption or could it be OK and how would I know?

By the way waht is the correvct premix ratio for that Polaris 1200 carb model?

Comment

Once it siezes, damage is done. You risk much more expensive damage if the crank goes and throws a rod through the cases later. Yes you need to swap it. 40:1 is the correct ratio for that model.

Comment

Working...
              X