Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL 750 w/a hole in piston???

I just bought a 1993 sl 750. The # 1 piston
    has a hole in the top of it the size of tic-tac.
    it appears to be from detination, it does not
    look like any metal parts were broken off, it
    looks more like a burn hole. My question is...
    can I just replace the piston and be ok or is there a possibility of more dammage? I am aware
    of the fuel pump problem and will be replacing it.
    The other cylinders have good comperession.

Thanks

[ June 12, 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: RC_Pilot ]

I have never done the job, but after lurking in these forums for a while, I think everybody here will probably recommend doing the entire job.
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

I have a 95' slt 750 that had the same problem.I just replaced the piston in that cylinder and i have had no problems at all with it.

Comment

I have just replaced a piston in the same cyl. on a 93' sl750 I have some gaskets for that syl. if your interested. i'll give them to you no charge. brand new never used cause i bought a set of three and used only one.
        Cliff

Comment

I started to remove everthing to replace the piston and Im begining to think I should have removed the motor to do the job. What a real pain to remove the exhaust system. Anyone know a better way? Im going to try just replace the piston what have I got to lose either way if I rebuild now it will cost me or if I do it later if or when it blows up I will still have to rebuild it right?? Hey Cliff I might just take you up on that gasket offer. Let me know.

Comment

Yes it is a pain removing the exhaust and all. But it's easyer than taking out the whole engine. it can be done though. On the exhaust manifold you have limited space to move a wrench but by the time your back starts to ache you'll be done. Wait till you try to get the wrist pin out, WOW! That's a tough one. Good luck, let me know when your ready for the cyl. gaskets. You will need to buy new manifold gaskets you know.
            Cliff

Comment

i found it easier to remove exhaust by removing fuel tank and sliding exhaust forward then remove cyl on my 94 sl750

Comment

Cliff:

Wrist pins are fairly easy if you use the tool that's made for doing the job. If you have someone who you can borrow a Clymer Manual from (I don't have it anymore), they have a diagram for a very simple and cheap tool you can make yourself.

Comment

I made the pin removal tool like the book shows and it worked great. Now I have a new problem.
                  see my new post.

Comment

Working...
                  X