GTI want get-up and go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTI want get-up and go

I have a 2002 GTI and to make a long story as short as possible it has a new SBT engine, Solars Impeller, wear ring, I have resealed the ride plate and pump, new o rings and carbon byshing on the drive shaft, rebuilt the carb with new kit. The ski cranks fine,but when i take off it slowly comes out of the water and to get it to full speed I have to hit a large wake from another boat and then immediately its at full power. The engine seems to be running fine I thought it was a cavation problem thats why I resealed everything. I am at my wits end with this thing is there anyone who may have an answer to this problem??

Re: GTI want get-up and go

Does it not rev up, or does it rev and not go? Your facts are conflicting.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The engine seems to be reving fine, but the ski just won't come to full speed unless I hit a wake and it has to be a fairly large wake that gets the ski out of the water and once that happens it is wide open and runs like it is supposed to. When new I could have three people on it and pull a skier out of the water now with two people it takes off gets to around 20mph and says there until I do thw wake thing.

Comment

Rebuild the carbureators. It sounds like it is flooding out the sparkplugs with gas and after you get some air (no load on motor) it burns off the excess fuel and tries to run the way it is susposed to.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I had the same problem. It took me two months to figure that one out. The previous owner installed a new SBT engine just before I bought it. He had the rotary valve timing off about 20 degrees. The craft would idle, but kind of rough, and wide open was good. Most of the time I would have to hit a big wave to get motor to rev up. I checked electrical timing and bought new carb. Nothing seemed to work. This last weekend I borrowed a timing wheel to check rotary valve. It looked like someone just aligned the valve to the bottom of the port instead of following instructions in manual.

Comment

When I installed the new SBT engine I purchased the degree wheel and set the rotoryvalve to the specs the dealer told me , but I will check that out!! Thanks for your help!!

Comment

CHecked reed valve timing and everything was perfect, now I'm really confused. I haven't got a clue why this ski won't come out of the water screaming?? Any Clues Anyone??

Comment

How do you have it timed? Did you read the rotary vale tech article?
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes I did read the tech article and the same information was in the installation manual that came with the new SBT engine. Is there anyother way to check the timiing as with a timing light? I sat the stator timimg as shown in the manual.
                  I find it hard to believe that with all the post here I haven't someone with the same problem. It seems as though the engine is performing as it is supposed to. Idels great when I hit the throttle it accelerates smoothly to around 20MPH (blasted speed- o isn't working correctly) the engine sounds like its straning as though it wants to pick up and go it just can't and thats all I get until I hit a wake and boom it full speed.

Comment

Checking the ignition timing will be of no use to you. If you aligned the two tic marks correctly, the timing will be close enough to make the motor run fine.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

As I have said before the motor seems to be doing fine, the problem initally started after sucking a rock in the impeller and I bought a Solas impeller, SeaDoo wear bushing, and the carbon ring and o-rings that go on the drive shaft after that it went down hill. Since the time of the rock it has never taken off like it did before. Iwaas readingin the aftermarket section where I guy had a cavation problem and I believe it was you who told him to slide the carbon bushing out where there will be more pressure om the carbon bushing which floats on the drive shaft. I'm assuming you meant the bushing going thur the hull?? iis the one to slide out??

Comment

Working...
                      X