93 XP Idle Adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 XP Idle Adjust

I've just bought a 1993 SD XP and well the idle needs to be speed up a bit. Presenetly at 1700 rpm out of water and 1000 to 1100rpm in. Now I took just a quick look and do not see a idle screw. Now I am going to assume that the flame arrestor box and such has to come to get to the screws. If it does seems like a pretty poor design. Any other help or tips on this machine would be great. One that comes to mind is how would a different intake grate and ride plate improve the take off on this craft? Keeping in mind I'm 290lbs... machine hauls my torso around great but from take off to get it to plane quick I need to sit up realtitivly far up on the seat.

Re: 93 XP Idle Adjust

It's not hard at all. Grab the throttle cable, follow it to the bracket at the carb and feel right behind it. There isa a t-handle on the idle screw, turn it in to raise idle speed.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 93 XP Idle Adjust and Intake Grate

Was wondering if there was any answer to my other inquirey?... What kind of difference in acceleration does a aftermarket intake have. Like I said if I sit too far back the machine seems to cavitate, however if I move up towards the handle bars the machine takes off without a problem. The feeling that I have is that the intake is coming out of the water at the very front of it and then the pump starts to suck air. Would a new eg. R&D intake grate cure this problem?

Comment

its probably leaking around the pump where it mates tot he hull or you have a bad prop or wear ring. Or possably the through hull seal is leaking. In
        any case an aftermarket grate won't do a thing. You can run with no grate at all and you wont have that sort of ventalation problem.

Comment

If you have that kind of problem with your intake, something has come loose. No stock or aftermarket should do that. I doubt your power problem is intake related however.

Do a compression check.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I did a compression check prior to purchase and on my gauge it has 147# and 145# which seems alright to me. Tooke the machine out and have checked the plugs through the range and a nice choclate brown. When I looked at the drive shaft twisted it around everything seemed tight... My question now is it common for the pump plate to become unsealed? I will test it with by pouring water from the back of the pump on it.

Comment

No, the pump plate on that model does not usually come loose and cause ventilation/cavatation. Most likely the impellor is damaged or the wear ring is worn out, or both. If they check out to be ok, then your problem is probably the sealant between the pump and the pump support is either missing or just not sealed real well.

A scoop grate will not solve your problem.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I own a 93 XP. Just as an FYI, I installed a R&D extender plate and a Solas Scoop Grate. They really made a difference in the handling of the Ski. It doesn't bounce as much (still gotta use the VTS depending on Chop) and the improved Acceleration from the Solas Grate is very noticable... I really got to hang on tight. Impressive for a 657 for sure.

Not sure why your caviatating though. ...but as you said if you sit towards the front everything works fine and that's the way it may have to be. You got to learn to drive the older boats and find out what works best. They are kinda bumpy and rough, but that's part of the fun.

I am considering putting beach house sponsons on this fall. Now that I got going Straight satisfactory, I gotta work it's turning capacity. I can't take high speed turns without the risk of going into the drink. I'd like the boat to grab the water better rather than sliding or rolling during turns.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X