Weight Overload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Overload?

First of all, I want to say this is a GREAT forum!!!

Today, I was running around for 2 hours with my 9 yr old (74 lb) son, everything is running great. Then my wife of about 130 lbs gets on with us and I can't go more than 5-8 miles an hour. I'm running a GTX 4-tek SC @ 185 hp. The manual says 3 people up to 600 lbs. I'm about 180.

As soon as she gets off, it runs great again.

WHY????

Does it matter if the bulk of the weight is in the middle or the rear of the craft?

Is the jet pump under water too far?

Did not go over the 600lbs.

Thanks in advance
    Christopher

Re: Weight Overload?

thats definately not right. I'd expect at 600+lb you'd be sinking and tipping over but still have plenty of power to plane.
    Was the engine reving up, like the prop is slipping? You could have a leak in the pump seal, or a prop/wear ring problem.

Comment

It could very well be the SC clutch slipping. Keeping it lighter in the front helps, so your not plowing water. They recently came out with a kit to change the SC clutch. It has ceramic washers in it. Also they now want mineral based oil instead of synthetic. The clutch doesn't like the synthetic and slips some which results in poorer performance as time goes on.
      Dick Bell
      http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

Here is a little more info:

The machine is 1 week old, new from the dealer!
        Don't think the clutch is slipping, I had it reved up at 4K going 5 mph!

2pp - at 4K goes 25mph with learner key.

There must be another answer, I would think I could not go 25 mph at all if the clutch was slipping!

My wife was in the 3rd position on the seat.

Comment

The clutches, when used with synthetic oil, are certainly a problem. Failures have been reported from a few hours to 30+. It may also be some pump dmage. These skis in particular must NOT be run in less than waist deep water - they WILL suck up debris from the bottom like no other, damaging your pump. Read the pump inspection article in the tech section.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

One last piece of information:

I was using the learning lanyard.
            Will this make a difference?

Thanks

Comment

Take a wild guess...

That info would have been helpfull.

WHY would you be using the learning lanyard (reduces engine RPM and power dramatically) with a passenger?

Comment

Sorry guys, I was not thinking!!

actually, I forgot I was using it until this afternoon speaking about it with someone else.

PS- I was using the learning lanyard because I was told to use it for the first 6 hours of use.

Thanks again.

Comment

Update:

Today, my wife & I take it out.
                  But before that, I called the dealer and asked how long I need to use the learning white lanyard. He said up until 5 hours. Ok, we take off and I have a total of 4.2 hours on the ski. It takes off ok, the nose rides higher than it has so far and takes about 15-20 seconds to plain out. Then it starts going. We get up to 20- 30 mph. I am thrilled! It is working great.

After awhile, I check the time on the ski - it says exactly 5.0 hours. GREAT!
                  I have now graduated to the yellow lanyard.

To make a long story short, after messing around a little to test the waters with my new found power, the ski goes from 0-30mph in 3 effin' seconds! And will get to 40 in 5 seconds. (With 2 pp.)

It blew my mind!

I be newbe no longer!

Comment

Your dealer pulled that out of his A$$. You don't 'need' to use the learning lanyard for a single second.

Comment

Working...
                    X