4 TEC oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 TEC oil consumption

Hi, with the problems many of us seem to have in reliably checking 4 -TEC oil level, is there any information available on just how often it needs topping up? I know that the "hot" level is much higher than the cold level, but this can mean that, when cold, the oil level is actually below the minimum level on the dipstick - which is scary! I am reluctant to just top the system up as again I have read about people over-filling and causing other problems. Anyone know how much oil there is between the max and min levels on the dipstick?

Re: 4 TEC oil consumption

I'm not aware of any required topping off of the level. The hot to cold is less than 1/2 way between the marks. Fill cold to 1/2 way and you're all set.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the info - my Ski seems to have used about half the dipstick range (Cold) over about 17 hours. There doesn't seem to be any obvious problem with performance or running - what are your views on this?

Comment

Make sure you are taking readings under identical conditions. I have not heard of any widespread oil consumtion issues yet. If you are consuming, hit your dealer.

Comment

The recommended way to check the oil is with the engine warm. Then run it for 30 sec, stop it, let it set for 30 sec, & check it. This gives the oil a chance to drain to the tank.
          Dick Bell
          http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

You mite want to make shore the engin is level. I know to check my oil, the boys at Kawasaki told me to put a small level on the engin and level it out then read the stick because the engin in the 12F & 15F is mounted back, not level..
            Hope this helps...
            JB

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have been looking into this in some detail. I am fairly certain the oil use I have reported is genuine, particularly as the drop in level has been "Steady" - i.e. 1-2mm drop each time the 'ski has been used (the drop being proportional to the time/hardness of use on each occasion) until it is just below minimum. Looking around the various forums, I can see that SOME(?) 4 - TECs do use an amount of oil, my question is: what is acceptable? Do people generally have to "Top-up" during a season of use? with modern cars you generally don't have to - but 'skis have a higher BHP:cc ratio and tend to be used at higher rpm for longer periods of time.

...What do you think??

Comment

Not an expert @ 4-tec's, or 2-stroke's in general, but I think the 4-tec is as close to a car engine as you can get in sea-doo's aside from the cooling and dry sump system. If it's a new unit I think break-in will not de done 100% until about 25-40 hours on motor and would expect to see some fluctuations in oil until then.

-Gab
                2003 Sportster 4-tec

Comment

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatley, I bought our ski secondhand with about 55 hours on it. It has used half the dipstick capacity in the 55 - 70 hour period.

As I said, there is no loss of power or any blue smoke, etc. and the performance is fine. The oil must be being used, but is there a problem???

Does anyone else out there have to top up at all during the season???

Comment

try leaving it mid way on your dipstick i did mine & it stays right there so far been 10 hrs on it at that level

Comment

I have followed the check procedure exactly and am sure it has used oil. How much do I need to add? - the checking method is so imprecise it would be easy to overfill!

...am I the only one out there that actually has to top-up during the season? I have seen quotes from dealers elsewhere on the 'net that say you can use as much as 0.5L in30 hours and still be within acceptable limits. Anyone got any further info on this?

Comment

I have now had a chance to have a good look round various websites. I have found reports of oil comsumption between 1 litre in 10 hours to 1 litre in 80 hours - with most in the 1 litre per 40 hours region (as you might expect). Operating hours were between 30 and 150.
                        The only report I could find on the difference between max and min levels on the dipstick siad it was about 0.25 of a litre. ...All very interesting. Based on this, I don't think I have a problem :), unless anyone out there knows different?!!

Comment

Sounds normal to me.

Comment

sounds normal to me.

Most of the 4tecs I service use about 500ml every 40 to 50 hrs.

Comment

Thanks for the info. - Can you confirm the difference between max and min levels on the dipstick?

Comment

Working...
                              X