94 xp died - battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 xp died - battery?

I was at the lake yesterday with my 94 xp, after going a couple of rounds I went to the dock for a while. When I was going to go out again, my xp would not start. no noise what so ever. after letting it sit for a while, it would start if I gave it some gas while starting it.

I have a feeling it is the battery b/c everytime I try to start it, it doesn't start right. It will make noise like if its trying to start, but doesn't. It takes like 10-15 seconds before it will kick.

last time I took it out was 3 weeks ago and it was the first time it died on me, but after letting it sit for a while it started.

What do you guys think?
    if it is the battery, where and what type of charger should I get for it?

Thanks

Re: 94 xp died - battery?

Buy a new battery, perferly not the cheapest battery you can get, but a good quality battery like a Yasua. Then go to Wal Mart and buy a float charger made for motorcycles or pwcs, ect. Don't forget to read the directions.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

thanks for your reply,

but let me ask you, why not just recharge this one?

Comment

If you recently bought the battery, then go ahead and recharge it. But I usully find that if the battery is very old at all, like over 6 months old, and has not been recharged on a routine basis, it will not hold a full charge again and you will continue to have battery related problems until you replace it.

A low battery not only turns the motor slowly and makes for more difficult starting, it wears heavily on the starter motor and the solenoid because the amprege is low. Starters are not cheap, nor easy to replace. Solenoids last a long time when they get the proper amperge to them.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

thanks again.

where should I go to buy the battery?

Comment

also, what how many amps should it be? wet or dry?
            I don't know a whole lot about this yet.

Comment

Get a sealed (gell) type battery. They are so much easier to deal with than the vented/liquid/maintnance ones. I've had good luck with a Power Source one. The Optima batteries are very spendy and have a good reputation, but we've had nearly all the ones we've used out here fail much faster than mid range ones.

If a battery sits around while not at a full charge, the lead plates fall appart and get coverd with sulpher crystals. Once that happens, your battery is toast. Keeping a battery constanly at full charge is the best way to maintain them. Charge the battery up, then take it to a automotive or tire store, they usually have a battery tester there that will let you know if the battery is shot or not.

As Bill said, trying to crank with a low battery will eat up starters, solenoids & relays.
              Devin Noel
              '03 Sea-Doo XPdi
              '98 Sea-Doo GSX
              Kwajalein, Marshall Islands (2,000+ miles from anywhere)
              devin.noel@gmail.com

Comment

I would go to a PWC store if I were you. You need a 16CLB battery. They are 19 amps.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

I had the same thing happen like 3 years ago...started like 5 times on the lake then nothing at all.

odessey batteries work well and you can get them on ebay for the same price as the stock type but the **** things dont fit in the tray without some shims (I used plexiglass) you can make it tighter so it cant rock out of the tray (i've shattered 2 reg batteries myself on big wake) We have a place called batteries plus up here they always have the right one.
                  97 SPX built to go fast, and jump...What YOU got?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                    I would go to a PWC store if I were you. You need a 16CLB battery. They are 19 amps.
                    oky it s me again i just brought new battery now why would it be starting hard i have to pump the gas as iam starting it and pray that it will start? going to lake today to test it

Comment

I have no idea why your ski is hard to start. Maybe you need to reuild your carbs?, Maybe the motor is toast ? With the information you failed to provide to us, how could anyone know why your ski is hard to start?
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

the motor is brand new ?

Comment

Now how would any of us known that? We cannot help you if you keep us in the dark.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Working...
                          X