96 xp think motor is toast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 xp think motor is toast.

i just bought this mint condition 96 xp three weeks ago and the engine blew up. i think Crank bearings and rod bearings at least thats what mechanic said. I need advice on what to do with it. i need to know what caused this and how to prevent it from happening again? please help open to all ideas

Re: 96 xp think motor is toast.

The usual cause is someone left water inside of the motor and the cranshaft beraing got rusty, then came apart. When this happens, metal pieces travel throughout the motor, sometimes doing lots of damage to other parts like the clyinder liners, pistons and rotary valve drive and engine cases. Your best bet is to buy an SBT remanufactored motor.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

you mean it wasnt started after taking it out of the water to get excess water out or water was left in the bottom of the hull and wasnt emptied out?

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Bought a good looking 96XP that someone had filled the hull with water and sucked it in through the carbs. They stored it over the winter like that and then sold it off to me in the spring. It lasted 45 minutes on the lake until it threw the front bearing out the front side of the case taking out the case and the flywheel cover. Time for a new engine for you. Hopefully your case and flywheel covers are OK. It cost me an additional $450 in used parts from a salvage yard to get mine rebuildable. I learned alot swaping out engines though. And my XP is a real screamer now with the new SBT block in it.

Comment

No, I mean water was left INSIDE of the motor during storage. It only takes a couple of days for the bearings to start rusting.
          Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
          X