95 SPX 650 will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 SPX 650 will not idle

I have a 95 SPX 650 that has ran great for the last 4 years. I've maintained the ski myself being very diligent on winterizing and maintenance. Last weekend I put the Sea Doo in the water for the second time this season and all of a sudden it will not idle, it runs great once you are going and at top end, it's a little harder to start, usually fires right up, but now needs a little choke even warm. Plugs look a little darker than they usually do. Any thoughts? Looked in the shop manual, mentions some filters in the carbs that might be dirty, is this something that can be done without putting it in the shop?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rick

Re: 95 SPX 650 will not idle

Typically, an older pwc needs to have the carbs rebuilt every few years. And, that includes new needles and seats too.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks,

I was just watching the video on carb rebuild, looks like that may be the way to go.

Comment

Hopefully Bill O'Neal is still reading these old threads, It's been almost a year now on the 95 SPX Model 5874, Engine 657x Sea Doo, I tried the easy fix, cleaned the carbs externally and with spray cleaner to the inside and installed new plugs, that was a short term fix, helped a great deal, but now it's time to face the music, I need to rebuild the carbs. 4th of July weekend, it would start fine, idle well, but when you accelerate, there's a huge flat spot like it's flooding, then it takes off like nothing is wrong at all. I bought the ski about 5 years ago, owner thought it had about 100 hrs on it, I'll guess that I've put another 200 on it since then. Question for you Bill,

I've figured out that I have the Mikuni BN-38I twin carbs, but I'm not sure what I need to order here from BST, kind of difficult to find it all. I want to order a rebuild kit, Needle and seat and carb base gaskets. I think thats all I'll need. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, have serviced both machines for the last 5 years, this is my first real issue. Also you mentioned in one thread I read here to make sure and do some plug chops to be safe. What is a "Plug Chop"?
        Appreciate all the fine tech advice here on this sight, I've referred to it on several occasions.

Regards

Rick

Comment

You can order all that stuff from me.

626 914 9509

Plug chops are not necessary for stock machines.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X