Question about hose routing after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hose routing after rebuild

I put a 717 in a 94 GTX which originally had a 657 motor. The 657 had a nipple on top of the cylinder head which I think connected to the hose which ran a little stream of water out the back. (I think.) The 717 head doesn't have that nipple on the head, so I took that hose and attached it to the nipple that is on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. As I accelerate I can see increased water flow out of that little stream hole. As I was riding I opened the seat and there was a lot of smoke in the engine compartment. I discovered I had a hose that wasn't attached in a second location. The hose is attached toward the bottom of the large plastic fixture in the rear that the exhaust goes through. (the right rear side of the machine) As I was running, I noticed that I was getting smoke from the exhaust coming back through that hose as well as a little bit of water. I'm guessing that this hose is probably the one that should be attached to the bottom of the exhust manifold. I put a bolt into it and zip tied it. Now the engine compartment is staying more dry and not filling up with smoke. I guess the question I have is, am I going to screw anything up having done this. Is there another location where this belongs? I kind of prefer having it set up so I can see the little stream of water out the back, so I know that I'm getting water flow throught engine. Any input appreciated.

Re: Question about hose routing after rebuild

No, you didn't screw up anything, but you are right, that fitting in the "thru hull exhaust fitting" should be attached to the 3/8ths " hose from the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

The 1/4" hose from the top of the 650 head goes to the pee hole under the rear tow hook, next to the one that comes from the top of the exhaust pipe to the pee hole under the tow hook.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Since I dont have the fitting on top of the 717 head to go to the pee hole in the back, wouldn't I be better off leaving my hose routing the way i have it, so i can see positivve water flow?

Comment

No, because your Sea Doo has a calibrated watering system that uses certain diameter fittings to control the water flowing through the motor. Going from a fitting with a 5mm hole to a fitting with a 1.5mm hole will effect the amount of water that can flow through the motor, changing the cooling capacity of the engine. Actually, you should have a hose attached to both of those fittings in an oem setup. But, I believe you said you made an engine swap. If you want to see water flowing, add a tee to the line and go to both fittings.
        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
        X