tips on restarting waterlogged seadoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips on restarting waterlogged seadoo

My kids had our Seadoo GTX RFI towed and water got in the system. I followed manual and did the following : removed plugs, grounded cables on supplied connections, turned the engine over to expell water several times for 10 seconds each time (seemed like a lot came out), sprayed wd-40 in spark plug holes, turned engine again for 10 seconds (twice) and reconnected plugs. It took many times to get it started, but it finally did. I am not at lake and I am starting in driveway. Not knowing how it will affect the engine I only run it a few seconds. (what is safe out of water run time) Any other actions needed. I don't know if I got all water out or not-can't be sure. Is it likely to be allright or should I run it at lake and plan to change plugs again. I'll be headed to lake this weekend and I am trying to be ready. Any tips will be appreciated.

Since writing this I've read the grave reports of "water in engines". Considering the above happened 4 days ago, and I just did procedure today, am I in for major problems. Should I even take to the lake or straight to the shop.

Hamp Lindsey
    Last edited by hamp1954; 08-03-2004, 10:31 PM. Reason: update

Re: tips on restarting waterlogged seadoo

Like everyone else, I'll give you the same advise. Pull it now before you end up with a rod through your case and more damage ($$). Most people don't listen and keep running it till it blows, usually dong hundreds more in damage. Your call.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks! Its off to the shop

Comment

2001 GTX I noticed you said in waterlogged engine to "pull it" meaning? top end ,complete engine tear down? Thanks, Rickie

Comment

When you get water into the engine you must remove it asap, waiting any lenght of time will allow the bearings to start rusting. 4 days is really too long you may have bearing damage, if the water that came out of the engine looked rusty then its time for a new engine.

Comment

The Seadoo service manual said to just remove plugs and pump out water, am i missing something? Thanks for your help, Boydent

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
            When you get water into the engine you must remove it asap, waiting any lenght of time will allow the bearings to start rusting. 4 days is really too long you may have bearing damage, if the water that came out of the engine looked rusty then its time for a new engine.

Comment

No but it needs to be done as soon as it happens; it will also help to lean the ski up on its side, carbs pointing up when pumping out the water. After all the water is out then try to get it started and ride it to dissipate any moisture that may still be in the engine.

Comment

Working...
              X