exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: exhaust leak

As you drive around town going home from the lake in stop and go traffic, leave the plug out and most all of the water will drain out, even if you only have one drain plug.

If you are really cool, you will put a little Tide in there with the water, leave the plug in, drive around awhile, then remove the plug. We mechanics like clean bilges.......
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Okay I understand Bill but no this is not the case when I mean water in the hull I do not mean just ounces I mean like enough to be coming half way up the motor like gallons like sinking the boat water not just a little water that may be left from washing or anything like that. any how Im going to take them to the lake a little later but my question is when I am running them on the trailer do i need to rev them or just let them sit there will this be enough to see where the water is coming from to inside the hull. Also how do I check the bailers once they are out of the boat for proper operation ie checking to see if maybe they are just clogged up and not draining. Thanks guys

Comment

The bailers will work if they are clean and the hoses go up to the top of the deck under the seat post and the tiny air bleeder holes in the yellow elbows are clean. If you have a metal venturi nozzel there are no bailer tubes in it to replace. If you have a plastic venturi nozzel, there are two bailer tubes which sometimes can fall out. If you are missing one or both, it will bail backwards, flooding the hull.

The amount of water you are describing is from a leaking hose or the driveshaft seal or the bailers bailing backwards. Had you mentioned that before, I would not have mentioned the water under the gas tank.

Remove the driveshaft cover and look at the seal. Is it loose? There are two hose clamps holding it in there. Are there signs that it may be worn out? Has the rubber hose spun around on the hull fitting? Is the hose ripped? If nothing is obivious, put it in the water start and run the motor, look for water leaks at the driveshaft seal or one of the hoses. Feel up above the starter motor to see if the 3/8ths inch clear plastic hose is attached to the fitting on the exhaust manifold.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Pull your bilge "shoes". On my 94XP these are two black boxes on the hull, next to the driveshaft. They just pull right off (held on by little clips). Make sure that the suction holes are not clogged. I store with my seat off and occasionally get a leaf in there that ALWAYS clogs the bilge if I don't look 4 it.

If all is clear there, remove the black boxes from the lines and use a can of compressed air to blow through the lines. Have a buddy at he rear of the ski with his hand over the pump. There are two small exit nozzles inside the venturi that is your outlets. Make sure that he feels a good amount of air exiting the craft. If it seems clogged, blow from the other way, try and force it out of the hose one way or abither. This is most likely your problem.
          Dan Solie -
          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
          94 xp (freestyle mods)
          95 xp (faster than the 94)
          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Which ski has the leak ?

The reason I ask, is a 1995XP has VTS. It is not as easy to see behind the VTS box to see if the bailer hoses are attached to the pump fittings. If not, you found a very healthy water leak.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Bill is the 95 similar to the 94XP where the VTS box on the left nose? Thats where mine is on the 94. Looks like a gas cap, but it's actually the motor and gauge assembly.
              Dan Solie -
              04 RXP (the "Instigator")
              94 xp (freestyle mods)
              95 xp (faster than the 94)
              JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

No. It's in the back since 1995.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Hey Bill thanks yes it is on the 95 xp and the black box is held in by two screws that screw into the glass on the intake part of the ski i guess is the best way to describe it anyway im going to put in the water in about 15 minutes and see what we come up with i appreciate all the help thus far. Now as far as the venturi being plasic or metal ill check that i honestly at this moment cant remember i think it is plasic and i have two orings that fit between it and the housing no im sorry that is between the housing and the pump extention now the water outlets on the extention to the housing could be clogged and cause this is that so ?

Comment

I have a 94 XP that had the same problem. I checked the pin hole vents on the 90 degree fittings on the bailer hoses. The 94 XP had none, but I understand that the later models do have vent holes. If they are clogged, clear them with a paperclip. Also, I purchased another reduction nozzle and the bailer tubes were cast shut. This is rare but could be your problem. The ski actually took on water quite rapidly, even as much as half way to the top of the battery. I drilled out the bailer tubes on the reduction nozzle, (no plastic tubes on the metal nozzles), cleared the black bailer feet and lines and the ski has not taken on water since. The lines need to be tie wrapped at the 90 degree fittings and pulled up underneath the seat post. If not they will pull water into the ski. They a vacuum bilges and can reverse the water direction if the lines are not suspended. They work similiar tob a p-trap.
                    skimanic@wolf-ridge.net
                    "94 XP"
                    Wolf-Ridge.Net

Comment

thanks Mike I have to check that next i went out and couldnt get to the lake to check for water but I did check the fittings Bill was referring to and they are clean and in good shape. i pulled up the black bailers and they are not clogged then it started getting dark and so in the am im going to pull the lines and blow through them and see what i come up with the only thing i found on my GTS is that the vent line from the battery had broke off at the fitting that feeds into the back but other than that nothing different or wrong that i could see so now i will start by removing completely the bilge lines and blow them and reinstall and take it to the lake and see what happens if that doesnt fix it then its time to take it to a shop NO DEALER and see what they say im only wanting to fix it right now cuz im in Texas and we still have at least another month and a half of riding left without worrying about wet suits. Thanks guys

Comment

I would fix the battery vent line ASAP. The bi-product of the acids sloshing and washing around in a wet cell battery are hydrogen gases. Who knows, one day when you hit the ignition, you could blow the ski and yourself! Literally. :D Also make sure the battery vent line check valve is working. It allows gases out but no water in.
                        skimanic@wolf-ridge.net
                        "94 XP"
                        Wolf-Ridge.Net

Comment

Working...
                        X