Oil Leak Rotary Valve shaft Blind End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak Rotary Valve shaft Blind End

I have a 98 Seadoo GTS 717 rotax very well maintatined. I have noticed a small oil leak from the "welch plug" like plate on the blind end of the rotary valve shaft at the side of the block.

In the manual it says not to touch this plate but does not state what to do if it leaks.

Can someone please advise how and what to use to seal it up ?

Regards

Re: Oil Leak Rotary Valve shaft Blind End

It's not too common, but those plates do sometimes breach. The best solution would be to pull it, disassemble and have it welded up. But you could use some JB Weld if it's just the edge leaking. That area is only under a few psi of pressure.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I have fixed many leaking welch plugs using epoxy. Make up a nice big blob of JB Weld and smear it over a throughly cleaned welch plug. Let it set up well. I use a light bulb near it to speed up the curing time.
      Lots of the older 580's had this problem. The plug surface corrodes and they start leaking.
      Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Thanks guys i will give the epoxy a go. It is only a minor leak, should i drop the oil to prevent seep while curing of epoxy?

Regards

Comment

Yes, you need a clean dry prepared surface if you expect it to adhere to the surface that you are repairing.

I normally do this type of repair with the engine laying on it's side on a bench.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Guys the leak is sorted and it's back on the water.

Regards & All the Best for Christmas.

PYRO

Comment

Working...
            X