Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 sportster dies after 5 seconds

Hey,

I just put a new engine in my boat. (my first try) It cranks, starts, and immediately dies. The mikuni carb is brand new, along with the intake, rotary valve, and its cover. I have tried squirting fuel into the carb, and it stays running. When I pop the line off of the carb, it drips fuel, but not a lot. The fuel filter is new. I took the bowl off the filter, and drained out the fuel. I put the cap back on, and cranked the engine. The bowl filled up very slowly. Is this O.K, or should it fill up fast. When I take the cap off the tank, it does nothing- shoulld it be presurized? I checked spark and compression, and they are great. the only one left is the fuel.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Re: 98 sportster dies after 5 seconds

Yes you have a fuel problem. It may be as simple as a missing oring in the sediment bowl or a loose clamp, allowing the lines to suck air instead of fuel.

It could also be a clogged fuel selector valve, or a clooged screen in the tank pick-up.

Are you sure the fuel pump is working good? When was the last time somebody rebuilt the carbs? If they have sat awhile, the diaphrams may be stuck to their covers, or the needles may be stuck in their seats.
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Re: 98 sportster dies after 5 seconds

thanks for the tips!!

Comment

Working...
      X