Do I have a carb problem? ('96 xp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a carb problem? ('96 xp)

My sea doo always starts and idles perfectly. but I have an intermittant problem. It seems to "run on one cylinder" intermittantly, engine shakes, and of course slows down. Upon slowing it always idles perfectly.

The Plugs never look wet. changing plugs has no impact. Spark tested with a timing light on the wires show spark all the time, even when seeming to run on one cylinder. Compression is 135 lb on both cylinders, cold dry.

I pulled off the carb covers and held my hand over each carb while "running on one", same effect on each carb, so "choking" did not improve performance.

I checked all the fuel lines and put new clamps on just in case, checked and cleaned the filter, was fine.

When it goes, it has a top speed of over 50mph and shows no sign of lean or rich condition, the carbs seem to be in perfect tune.

Can anyone help to identify my intermittent problem? Thanks.

Re: Do I have a carb problem? ('96 xp)

I had a simillar sounding problem on mine. The rectifier was the culprit, easy fix but I could not figure it out on my own. Mine would idle fine too but riding along anywhere over half throttle it would slow down out of the blue acting like its fouling a plug or carbs plugged up or some thing. I would shut it off or just idle for a few minutes and it would be ok again for a while.
    After replacing the Rectifier it ran like new again.
    Get off the keyboard and on the WATER:emoticonr

Comment

Try something simple first, cut your spark plug wires a 1/4" back and screw them back on the cap and hook it all back up. See if that helps. Check your grounds also, make sure they are clean.
      SHOOTER

Comment

My 96 had the same problem. Change all the fuel lines.the grey tempo lines will breakdown inside and you will get a brown goo pluging the lines and carbs. And clean the fuel filters in both carbs. Then install a in line fuel filter. just before the carbs.

Comment

My 97 Xp also did that, also turned out to be the rectifire. But shooter is right, clip the plugs before you throw 40.00 bucks down the drain

Comment

Working...
          X