Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP 800 Crank seal question

Hi,
    I am a newbie to working on two stokes, and Seadoos. I have a Xp 800 that has oil in the crankcase from a leaking seal either on the crank or the rotary valve. I don't have the crank out yet but I am curious about replacing the crank seals. It looks like the crank has to be separated to get the inner seals on. Is this something I can do (order my own seals and install them) or is this going to require a rebuilt crankshaft? I don't know which seal was leaking but I took the rotary valve shaft out and the seal on it looks fine.
    I am installing pistons and rings on the upper end and I was planning on just resealing the lower end if everything looked alright but then I found the crankcase full of oil.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Re: 96 XP 800 Crank seal question

No you cannot DIY, unless you have a 40 ton press and know how to index a crankshaft. Best bet, trade for one with SBT.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill. 40 ton press no problem. Indexing the crank would be.
      I do have one more stupid question. You guys list a 787 crank, and then you list a 787RFI crank. what the heck is RFI???? I guess I need to know which 787 I have.
      Thanks again,
      Ray

Comment

RFI = fuel injection on the motor. You have a standard 787 crankshaft.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

There is alot of time involved in tearing a crank apart, but much more time is needed to reassemble the crank properly. Having the right equipment and the knowledge to properly index, align and true the crank should be left up to the professionals. Anyways, if you were to pull the crank apart just to get to the inner seals, it would probably cost you alot more than you think because once you pull those bearings off you should not re-use them, so the added cost of replacing all the bearings, seals and the head-aches would be well over the price of a re-built crank with new bearings, rods, rod pins and seals.

Comment

Working...
          X