bigger carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger carbs?

Ok this is what I am currently putting on my 97 SPX: Factory Spec II exhaust, ADA head 175lbs, XO prop, 85/88 nozzle, and fly FA's

Now the question is, Do you guys recommend that I go with bigger carbs, say 44's or would I be fine just rejetting my stock 40's?? Thanks.

Re: bigger carbs?

Originally posted by mattdedes
    Now the question is, Do you guys recommend that I go with bigger carbs, say 44's or would I be fine just rejetting my stock 40's?? Thanks.
    You won't realize the full potential of what you've done unless you do. And it's a small amount of money in comparison with what you've already spent.
    With the SPEC-2, that engine could utilize up to 46's or possibly 48's.

Comment

Your choice.
      Rejet the stock carbs ( they have a 42mm inner venturi bore ) or you can install 46mm Mikuni's.

The rejetted stock carbs can work fairly well, but for maximum power and speed, the 46's are even better.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

This might be a dumb question but could I use a set of 46mm carbs off a 98 GSX ltd. on my SPX, would they bolt right on? sorry Im not too inclined in the carb department.

Comment

No, the bolt pattern is different.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

As long as your bolt patterns match up you are fine.

Comment

Franky, They don't and they are not even close.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Bill,
                What I was trying to say was for him to check his bolt patterns and if they match then he could use them if they dont then he can not use them. It would only make sense to check if they bolt on or not to see if you can use them or not. I have learned that much so far.:)

Comment

Yes that's fine Frankey, but chances are he hasn't bought them yet, so I'd hate to see him buy something that doesn't fit.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Thanks guys, guess i wont be buying those... :) so what should I be looking for, do they make specific 46mm carbs for the 785 motor then?

Comment

Bill you are right about that I didnt think of that I read the question as saying he had another ski with them on it and was asking if they fit.

Comment

I am using a rossier pipe so I have a little different setup, but I had the stock carbs bored to a true 42mm and felt alot for 180 bux. I've heard that big carbs take some extra tweakin that I have not experenced but I am using a different pipe. But hey if your not spinning super high rpms with race gas and 200lbs compression you might not need 48's. Tech support knows their stuff though....just throwing thoughts out
                        97 SPX built to go fast, and jump...What YOU got?

Comment

To swap over to dual 44's or 46's you need an intake manifold and the carbs.

I could set you up with a very nice Novi 44 setup on an R&D intake for about $695.00, they cost $1150 new.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Working...
                          X