951 lean out 3/4 throttle with After Market Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 lean out 3/4 throttle with After Market Air Filters

I've got rejetted carbs and Fly Racing air filters installed and was wondering if my 98 xpl ran at 3/4 throttle for a long period of time (15 minutes) would the 3/4 lean spot cause me to have engine Failure? Is this 3/4 throttle lean spot as serious as people make it out to be?

Re: 951 lean out 3/4 throttle with After Market Air Filters

Yes its true.
    SHOOTER

Comment

I agree, true. But it seems that some do it and some dont. Mine did it bone stock. I sinse have done some carb massaging which improves signal strength and it has been fine to where I can cruise at any throttle range indefinatley.
      Being ignorant, is not so much ashame as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Any Idea on how to make This 3/4 throttle lean spot better? Stock air filters and Stock Jetts the answer?

Comment

Newberry SC huh, your about 2 hours away from me.
          Yes there is a way to "lighten" it a bit. Go to www.watercraftmagic.com and order a jet kit and prok filters from Bill O'neil.
          SHOOTER

Comment

Originally posted by carolinadocks
            Any Idea on how to make This 3/4 throttle lean spot better? Stock air filters and Stock Jetts the answer?
            A different jetting profile helps some, but loss signal is loss of signal. The stock carbs have an inner venturi that is very blunt, this will divert an amount of air around the "bomb sight". Changing the shape of the inner venturi can help send more air thru the center of the "bomb sight" netting better velocity past the high speed circuit and improved signal. I have tested on my makeshift flow bench, and massaging the venturi did improve the pull on the high speed circuit, but a flow bench dosent replicate the unsteady flow or the resonance of a running engine.

Another mod was to remove the pilot jet and drill a .030 hole into the carb. While that improved off idle carburation, I didnt seem to be able to get a clean idle, so I have sinse filled that in.

Like I mentioned before some machines dont seem to be affected as much as others.
            Being ignorant, is not so much ashame as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X