X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question ????

I have read several posts that mention
    'cutting back on the spark plug wire 1/4 inch to get a better connection'

I am having an intermittant spark issue where I seem to only be getting spark to one cylinder.

My question is this ( which might be the dumb part )

How in the world do you get the black boot cover OFF the wire without ripping it off? :(
    I have tried with [some] force to get the boot off with no luck what-so-ever.

It has to be an easier method to get one of these things off without completely shreading the thing.

Any help would be awsome

mmc

Re: Dumb Question ????

Hold the wire in one hand and twist the sparkplug boot counterclockwise with the other hand while pulling on it.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill....got off boot and clipped wire back.

Unfourtunatly it did not correct the problem I'm having.

I am Getting no spark from one of the wires. Engine running on one cylinder

1998 Gtx Rfi

Engine cranks but is running only on one cylinder. I can remove the plug wire that is not sparking and engine still runs.
      Where do I look next.. if neccessary I will take it in, but give me an idea on what problem areas could be so I will no if they are in the right direction

Thanks

mmc

Comment

Are you positive that you got the boot back on that wire all the way? Were you getting spark before cutting back the wire?

Comment

No, I was not gettting any spark from this wire.

Thinking that cutting back the wire might solve the problem, I did it with no positive results.

Mark

Comment

and you are sure it's not sparking, right? take the spark plug, still plugged into the boot, and hold it against the case of the motor, and then see if it sparks. i don't know what kind of ski you have, but the reason i say that is because if fuel isn't getting into that one cylinder (if you have two carbs, one may not be sending the right fuel mixture), then unplugging a spark plug won't diagnose anything, because that cylinder won't be putting out any power anyways. make sure it isn't sparking, because you don't want to go into your electronics for nothing. trust me... i know ;-)

Comment

check the connection inside the grey box - could be loose or oxidated.

Comment

Also remember the Early RFI engines idled on 1 cylinder. It was the mag cyl. The newer ones randomly switch from mag to pto, but still idle on 1.
                Dick Bell
                http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

Only the 3D model idles on one cylinder. The previous RFIs idled on both.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Could also be a bad spark plug boot. Take the wire out and see if it will spark to the block without the boot on. Hold it with large gloves and an insulated pliers about 1/8" away from a ground when turning the engine over. If no spark then you should replace the coil pack.
                    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Bill,

any other ideas on where to look next with no spark on one wire?

Thanks

mmc

Comment

Not a dumb question at all - it can be a tricky problem. I had an intermittant - then permanent - dead cylinder on my 2001 XP. I got the message to clip the wire like you did (what a cheesey connection to the boot). Didn't solve a thing.

My problem turned out to be at the other end of the wire at the coil. It was simply bent too tightly right at the coil exit and had worked itself loose breaking the connection. A quick push with a pointy tool and the problem was solved for the season.

The very few problems I've had with that machine are all related to too-tight Zip ties kinking hoses or straining electrical connections.
                        Scott<br />1996 ZXI<br />2001 XP

Comment

Working...
                        X