97 GSX low fuel/baffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GSX low fuel/baffle

Been reading a lot about baffle and float problems.

Replaced the baffle in my 97 GSX (68 hrs) with a new one because I was not getting any reading from the old one. Doing the jumper test brought up all bars, so mechanic said it was the baffle sending unit.

Replaced with new unit. Showed normal in the shop on the trailer. Showed normal when first taken out on water. After turning engine off, removing key, restarting, the Low Fuel warning came on. Rode for a short time and the bars started to creep up to normal level. This has been the case for 3 weeks now. Reads normal in the garage, when first taken out, but erratic after that. One time it did go Low Fuel when riding, but slowly came back up.

Could the new OEM fuel baffle be defective? I assumed the mechanic got the correct one installed.

I have also read about MPEM re-programming. Does this need to be done with the replacement of a baffle (97 GXS)?

Thanks for any direction. Sound like the fuel baffles eventually become a big headache for many.

harlan.

Re: 97 GSX low fuel/baffle

MPEM reprogramming is not what you need but it could be a short in the wire at the connection point from the change out.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will once again check the connections, only two that I know of. One from baffle, other at the connector to the MPEM.

I checked, as best I could, the one from the baffle to the harness and have plugged and re-plugged the large connector that goes into the MPEM unit. I don't see any pins that look out of place, bent or pushed back. I have the service manual and am able to identify the two wires and pin positions that are for the fuel gauge.

One of those mysteries that is very difficult to pinpoint unless there is a hard failure, like when the original baffle went completely DOA. The short-out test confirmed that.

Will keep searching for others that may have had this intermintent problem both here and elsewhere on the internet. Amazing how many posts there are all over about fuel baffle problems.

harlan.

Comment

Harlan,
        I have gotten a few bad fuel baffels from SD over the years. Not too often, but it does happen.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I immediately alerted my mechanic of the problem. I think I will have him order another one as a defective warranty replacement, have him install it and see if that solves the problem. If not, ??? Will have to see from there.

Seems so strange that it will stop registering the next time it is started (even if it is immediately started again) after the engine is turned off and the key is removed.

Thanks for your input to the problem. Seem to be a lot out there on this fuel baffle/gauge problem both here and on other forums. May have to resort to the ole analog dipstick method:D

Comment

Working...
          X