99 GSX-RFI boggs down when warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 GSX-RFI boggs down when warm

I have a '99 GSX-RFI that just won't run right. It starts strong, runs for a few minutes and then stalls out and won't start normally. I can give it a little throttle when engaging the starter (which I know will normally flood a RFI engine) and it will start again. However, when it does start it is very week and will not go above 1750 RPM and will not idle.

FYI: I bought this ski in January and have reason to believe it was not in the water last season. I put a fresh battery on it, removed the plugs (both brown, dry and one showing a little corrosion) and put 2 teaspoons of 2cyl. oil in each cylinder. Without the plugs in place, I hit the starter. The motor turned very slowly at first, at best 4 RPM. I waited 10 minutes hoping the slight movement would lubricate the cylinders, which it had, because when I tried the second time, the motor turned over smoothly. I ran the starter with plugs out for about 15-20 seconds, waited a minute and repeated.

Knowing the motor was not locked up, I installed the plugs and it started on the first try. I did not want to run it dry, so I took it to the lake, where is started right up, and the jet drive appeared to be working fine. I left the ramp at slightly over idle speed out to the No Wake markers (about 1/4 mile) and slowly opened the throttle, the ski accelerated briefly then bogged down so I immediately let off the gas and it stalled. I cranked without touching the throttle, and it would not start. So I added a little throttle, it started but was running rough and would not exceed 1750 RPM. In fact, more throttle seemed to make matters worse.

At the dock, I looked inside the engine compartment, nothing looked out of place, though there was a little white smoke in the lower end below the pipe. I say little, because it was almost unnoticable and quite possibly just a figment of my imagination.

Finally, since I know this question is going to come up, it could be gas. The ski had half a tank, I did not think to drain it and just topped it off with fresh gas.

What should I check? I have at least 30 shops in the area to work with, I just don't want to miss the Labor Day Weekend waiting for the shop to make a simple diagnosis. Anything I can do to rule out the easy fixes would sure help me feel better and may even salvage the long weekend.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Re: 99 GSX-RFI boggs down when warm

First Of all i think you should check everything that has to do with fuel...it sounds to me like you are not getting enough i would check the injectors and the fuel filter...if those check out ok you might even check out the fuel petcock...and as far as the smoke goes i would check your pipe for holes so when you do get it running you dont sink in the lake....

Comment

Re: 99 GSX-RFI boggs down when warm

I was able to siphon 90% of the fuel out of the tank and I don't find a fuel filter. Other threads indicate there may be a filter inside the tank. Anyone know one way or another if this is true?

I have not cleaned the injectors yet, is this something that should be performed by the dealer, or is it a task the owner can perform?
      Last edited by rlr267; 05-31-2005, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X