2 Beeps, Spark, then I put the plugs in and No Spark.. Then spark again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Beeps, Spark, then I put the plugs in and No Spark.. Then spark again

BTW: I did hook up a sears battery charger on the "Start" mode. Could this have caused any problems? If so, what should I check?

Comment

Thats why I said jump with a car battery and make sure its not running, you may have fried something. Never jump start with a battery charger.

Comment

Originally posted by julrich
        Thats why I said jump with a car battery and make sure its not running, you may have fried something. Never jump start with a battery charger.

Ouch... So what do you suggest I do now? I hit it with a 100 amp start feature.

Comment

That's why there are big stickers on the ski that say DO NOT BOOST THE BATTERY. Get a new battery and cross your fingers you don't need a new computer too.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
            That's why there are big stickers on the ski that say DO NOT BOOST THE BATTERY. Get a new battery and cross your fingers you don't need a new computer too.

Well guys... I did it. I hooked it up. It's confession time. ;)

But if the damage was caused by the boost, why would I get intermittened spark?

Comment

You just created a second problem. one prob-had nothing to do with the other.

Comment

I have another front box if your intrested but you will have to have it reprogramed at a dealership to match your key. lmk jim

Comment

Is the ignition pickup broken? If so, you will have spark sometimes and not other times.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

This is what happened to me. I had an old X2 about 15 years ago that I built from scratch and I lived in VA Beach and rode it on the ocean often. I got salt water in the hull a few times and as luck would have it some of it got into the magneto and cover. I was new to jet skis and had that intermittent spark you are refering to. I put a 200 dollar coil on it from the dealer and that didn't fix it I then decided to pull the magneto and I looked at the pick-up and as luck would have it their was like a piece of some kind of shrink-rap over the soldered area and I cut it off to discover that the soldering job had rattled/corroded loose and would touch sometimes and sometimes not. I re-soldered it and cleaned all the rusted areas (around inside of flywheel and the parts that almost touch the flywheel as it spins) with sandpaper and put a thin layer of marine grease on them which I don't know if is correct but these forums didn't use to exsist. When I was finished I had a good blue spark everytime. I would check the pick-up if I were you might save you some headaches.

Joe

Comment

BILL would that also cause him to not have the beeps when he puts on his key ?????? I didnt think it would

Comment

Maybe, maybe not, depending upon the amount of corrosion on the ground wire to the stator or other issues he may have with bad wiring or connections.

I have a perfectly good 1997 XP that never beeps, but is otherwise fine. The beeper works good to when tested. Many boats come through here that will not beep, but run fine.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                          Is the ignition pickup broken? If so, you will have spark sometimes and not other times.
                          Bill,

I'll check this as soon as I get home. BTW: Stupid question, but isn't the ignition pickup located behind the front cover? IE: I'll have to pull the header and undo the forward motor mounts and then the coils are attached to the actual cover. Then begin looking for a reading device (ignition ickup) and seeing if it is loose or broken?

Or is there a better way? It has a purple colored pipe on it.

Comment

Yes, what you want to see is the ignition pickup that sits on the inside of the mag cover. If bad, it will have a broken mounting bracket. No diagnostic tools necessary, just replace it.

Also, check the 6 bolts that hold the magneto cup to the flywheel, they sometimes come loose or break off. Look for other bits of metal while you are in there too.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

Gentlemen,

THE SKI IS RUNNING! :)
                              You guys are GREAT!

I took a good look at the MPEM box up front. Because that was the last thing I screwed with before loosing the Two Beeps. I found that two of the plugs can be switched out. IE: The 2 wire plug ends are interfittable. So make sure you match color for color. Did that and got my 2 beeps back..But was still right back where I started.

Bought a new battery. Same thing. Then I went in with electrical cleaner and hit every wire on the ski. When I grabbed that little ground wire off the battery... IT BROKE OFF IN MY HAND!
                              It was clean, but it had been bent before and for whatever reason was not making a good enough Ground.

Changed it out and Roooommm Rooommm. :)

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the forum. I have lots of knowledge about mortgage stuff, coast guard stuff and racing corvettes, so if I can be of help, just ask.

Matt

Comment

Great glad to hear you got it going.

Comment

Working...
                                X