96 GTX Troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTX Troubleshoot

Hi. Just bought a used non-running 96 GTX. Very, very clean. Owner said rode 2 tanks of gas through it this year, on 3rd tank 1/2 way through ski began to sputter and smoke slightly. They stopped and took it in hopefully before damaging it.
    The shop told them it appeared okay although it appeared some water had gotten in a cylinder through possibly a dried out seal. The shop did not specify any particular seal and just recommended to him to replace the engine to be on the safe side. He opted to scrap it and buy a Sea Doo boat. He later called me to advise that a guy he came to know at the shop told him he could likely run some WD-40 or other type cleaner through the engine and possibly be okay as it might not have been as serious as they originally thought. I have never heard of anything like that before.
    From looking at the ski it appears very clean. I am charging a battery tonight. I can turn the engine over by hand with ease. How should I safely troubleshoot this ski without causing additional damage should their be any. Compression test? Crank over without plugs to see if water shouts out? Take off head to inspect pistons and walls?

Joshua Cole
    In this life if you are in search of happiness it will surely elude you, if you focus on the needs of others, family, and God happiness will find you.

Re: 96 GTX Troubleshoot

I bet it stalls because the internal carb filters are all clogged up with debris.

That dealership mechanic that told you water took out a seal is on crack.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

yeah, i'd avoid that place...

Comment

Yes, so far in the 1 hour I have spent looking through this ski it is flawless. I am going to dig through the ski over the next 10-days in my spare time. I really think the dealership just did not take the time to properly troubleshoot and advised this gent based upon his inputs. I will update this thread when I am done.

Joshua Cole
        In this life if you are in search of happiness it will surely elude you, if you focus on the needs of others, family, and God happiness will find you.

Comment

FYI-I did search previous DESS posts, etc...to see if something matched my issue.

Hi. As I work through getting this ski going I ran into another issue. When I first got this ski it had a starter issue. I have acquired a new starter that does work. However, even when I first had the ski I never got a beep or anything when I plugged in the DESS key. I would get the red lights on the gauges to work, etc...When I would hit the start button it would just click thus the new starter.

Now, I have installed a new battery. The battery was new and evidently I did not charge it fully because after returning from vacation the battery was dead. Now when the battery is charged I get nothing. No lights, nada.

What should I check? Did I lose the DESS / MPEM Memory when I disconnected the battery or when it went dead?

Joshua Cole

Comment

Check the fuses in the rear electrical box and on the MPEM. No you didn't lose the code when you disconnected the battery. The MPEM has a little lithium (sp) battery of it's own so it does not lose it's memory. Foe whatever reason, not all old Sea Doo's beep when you install the lanyard. To test a beeper ground the wire to the heat sensor on the head. When grounded, it should beep. If not replace the beeper.

You could have a bad solenoid.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill-
              Thanks. I bought a solenoid as a precaution as well. Saturday morning I will install the new starter and test. Then if not working install the new solenoid as well. I did take the old starter to a shop and confirmed it to have bad brushes. I will also check the fuses as you indicated.

I will post results.

Thanks,
              Joshua Cole

Comment

Working...
              X