Tight Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Steering

I have a 98 Seadoo GTS. The steering has gotten really stiff and sticks. I removed the cable from both ends and it's still tight. Is there a grease fitting for the steering column or some other way to loosen it up. Can you drill a hole in the column and insert a grease fitting. Any suggestions would be really helpful. I am really new to the Jet Ski game.
    Last edited by Forkscooter; 06-08-2005, 02:14 PM.

Re: Tight Steering

Disassemble the steering head and clean and lube it.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I have been trying to get the four bolts out of the steering stem and steering clamp. I have tried to lubricate them, thet just wont turn. I am afraid they will snap off. Do you have any recommendations.

Comment

Heat the aluminum on the stem. Work the bolts back and forth. You may never get them out if they are too corroded.

If you are taliking about the bolts that hold the handlebars on, why do you need to remove them? The steering stem will pull out of the bushings if you pull it back towards the rear of the craft.

Inside of the steering mechanisim there are 2 bushings that the steering stem goes through. Corrosion will build up between the bushings and the aluminum housings, pinching the bushings and making the steering tight. You may need to replace those bushings after you clean all of that corrosion out from behind the bushings.
        You can buy new bushings at SD for not too much money.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Can you tell me if that steering stem is really hard to get out. I was pulling on it and hitting under it with a rubber mallet and it only moves about half an inch or so. That is why I thought you had to get the bolts out. Is there a bolt underneath where the cable is or should the stem just pull right out.

Comment

Remove the nut on the end of the stem that holds the steering cable bracket. Remove the washers. The steering cable bracket will come off the end of the steering stem. Pull out the handlebar and steering stem. Note: it is not necessary to disconnect the steering cable ( from the bracket) to remove the handlebar and steering stem.

Bushing.
            Inspect bushings for wear, cracks, scoring, ect. Replace as necessary.

What the manual does not mention is that corrosion can build up between the aluminum and the bushings, pinching the bushings and causing a tight steering movement.

There are no other bolts holding the stem in the steering headpiece.

Your stem must need a bit more force to get it out because it is stuck in there. Try driving it out from the bottom side.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Bill thanks for all of your help, it's really appreciated. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Comment

Bill it worked great. Removed the neck, cleaned it up and we are back in business. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Working...
                X