Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charging Problem on gtx-rfi

On my 2000 GTX my battery runs down and the "low 12 volt" light comes on. I
    just installed a new battery and it still happens. Is there some sort of a charging module that may be defective, or does the magneto have a problem.

Re: Battery Charging Problem on gtx-rfi

Install a new rectifier.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I will try a new rectifier. Thanks

Comment

Hey there... did the rectifier work....... Cuz my low volt light comes on .... so i did check the battery with the the ski running, with a volt meter and it show's that it isnt charging ...It is a new fully charged batt.... Thanks :o

Comment

RFI's eat rectifiers for lunch.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Anybody able to find a decent price on rectifiers for the RFI models. I have read all the links, and seen many post about finding the rectifiers online for $40-60 each, whereas my dealer wants $140.

I have found only one site that purports to have a OEM replacement for less, but don't know if it actually works or not. Has anyone used a OEM part from RCPCanada? They claim it is a direct replacement for the Sea Doo part number 278-001 554 can anyone verify?

Comment

I purchased a used 2000 GTX (model 5545) last spring. It only had 52 hours and the dealer said it was perfect and gave me a great deal ... he even threw in a new battery. But after using it one time, I started getting the "low voltage" warning and the battery wouldn't stay charged (that's probably why the dealer gave me a new battery when I bought it). Of course, the dealer said it was my problem and that I would have to fork over another $875 for a new MPEM module.

As so often happens in this business, I sensed that I was being ripped off (or was the dealer just really incompetent?). So I took the GTX home to see if I could fix it myself. I'm a real amateur at this kind of thing, but after obtaining a copy of the wiring diagram off the internet and spending a few hours tracing the wires, I found that the problem was simply due to a bad connection in the middle modular connector that plugs into the MPEM. The wires going into the plastic modular plugs have copper lugs with spring clips that snap into place when they are fully seated in the plug. It turned out that the wire from the magneto had never been seated all the way (or, if I'm feeling really cynical, it may have been intentionally pulled out). All I had to do was push the wire in to seat the lug (it clicked into place) and all my problems were solved. If I had trusted the dealer, he would have made $875 for a 5 second fix.

I hope your problem is as easy to fix as mine was. And I hope you have an honorable dealer ... guys like that damage everyone's credibility and take the fun out of the sport.

Comment

The Sea Doo Dealership retail price for that rectifier is $138.04.

I do not think I would trust any aftermarket electrical parts. The problem with electrical parts is that you cannot return them if they do not work.

I have only bought one oem electrical part in the last 13 years that did not work properly. It was a VTS box for a 1996XP. My dealership took it back anyway, and replaced it with another.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Working...
                X