96 GTX 12 Volt Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTX 12 Volt Low

I have a 96 GTX and have replaced the battery 3 times... I now have deep cell marine batter. I know that the gtx puts a huge load on the battery to start...however, my display always reads 12 volt low, even after a charge...and wont keep a charge even if im riding.... meanwhile, my wifes kawasaki hasnt had a new battery OR a charge in over a year and turns right on every time.

Any opinions on my charging issue?

- Matt

Re: 96 GTX 12 Volt Low

I used to have a 97 GTX with the same problem. Apperently it is a problem with the gauge design. Battery should be ok

Comment

Yes. Replace the rectifier and your battery will charge again.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

my GTX (97') had that same problem until I put a new battery in and trickle charged it after filling. I think the battery is a DieHard from sears. Great battery and starts right up every time

Comment

I'm going to ride in on this thread because I see this problem posted quite a bit, and I'm experiencing a "12 volt low" signal I don't understand.

Along with my 2001 RX DI, I also recently purchased a used '97 Sea Doo GSX. This ski was a pleasant surprise because it looked like it was maintained well and runs accordingly. I originally had a 12 volt low signal, but the owner admitted that the battery was old and we actually had to jump the ski with a portable jump start pack just to see it run. I bought a new battery, filled it with acid, trickle charged it with a VDC Electronics "Battery Minder" until in went into desulfator mode and installed it in the ski.

Every time I take the ski out, (3 times since the season started), I'll get the "12 volt low" error only when I first start the motor, but the ski starts strong and never misses a beat after that. I average a total of 2-3 hours on the water each time with several brief stops and restarts with no trouble other than the error being displayed on startup.
          When I return at the end of the day, I'll disconnect the battery, place it on the "Battery Minder" charger, and it immediately goes into desulphator mode indicating that the battery is fully charged. I need to measure the actual battery voltage to be sure, but it certainly acts as though it doesn't need charging. Is this normal? It's a little unsettling to see the error because I think it might be an indication of a looming problem, but my analytical mind tells me that it's just a fluke.

Comment

Never,
            I think what is happening is the computer gets a signal that the ski is charging after you start the motor and rev it up.

For whatever reason, your rectifier is not telling the computer that it is working correctly until the engine sees some rpm ( and the accompaning raise in the voltage being sent back to the battery).
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Bill,

Does the rectifier report directly to the electronic module? Should I look for a bad component or marginal connection to the electronic module, or do you suspect that there is something going on in the charge loop itself? I haven't purchased a service manual yet, so I'm not familiar with the layout of this system.

By the way, I've solved a few problems by reading your posts to this forum, thanks for your input!

Comment

Please folks........When the 96 and later Sea-Doo's that have an info center are started, the info center displays the "last known" condition....Since the charging system does not shut off when you pull the lanyard or depress the start/stop switch.The Info center reports to you during the first 10 to 15 seconds of the next start cycle that the battery charging voltage dropped below 12 volts (because the engine was shut down!).

This being the case, you will always see the "12 volts low" displayed upon start up.

If the Info center continues to report 12 volts low while riding....you then have a concern and need to find a solution.
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Yep, mine still shows 12 volt low even after riding...and after several stop-starts, has a hard time starting as if the battery isnt charging and is about dead. Rectifier?

Comment

Most likely. I rarely ever have to replace a stator out of a 787 or 951 unless damaged by broken starter gear pieces or flywheel bolts that have sheered off. Rectifiers go out alot on certain models. It is a very common problem.
                    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Rectifier it was! good to go....

Comment

Gee, how did I know that ?........:)
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

Where is the rectifier?

Comment

electrics box it is little square part with wires coming out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X