Motor Tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Tight?

Just got done putting on my magneto and flywheel on my 580 and I just hooked up jumper cables to the starter just to make sure the flywheel was on right and the startor seemed to drag such as it was bad, but the starter is only a year or so old and worked find before my rotary gear shreaded, it turns the motor over but barely,I can take the spark plugs out and it will just boogie over, is my motor tight from the rebuild, is the startor bad, or could I have the rotary valve not positioned right Also where does the battery ground cable hook onto the motor?

Re: Motor Tight?

There's your problem right there-Jumper Cables!!

I used jumper cables once when i had the battery out of my Seadoo and the gauge (thickness) of the wire was not good-it may look thick from the insulation but have a look at the actual width of the wire itself....it's probably not very thick (i think the wire in mine was only a few mm). If the gauge is not high enough, the jumper cables will not be able to carry the current being pulled by the starter motor and therefore it will not turn the motor over with guts.

My suggestion is to put the battery in the jetski and connect it up as normal-if you really want to use jumpers then get some with a gauge of wire that is thicker (at least 5-7mm thick means a higher amperage capacity). You shouldn't have problems after you do this.......The reason that the motor turned over without the spark plugs is because the starter didn't have to oversome any compression within the cylinders. Hope this helps you :emoticont

Oh.....the negative cable hooks onto the engine below the exhaust manifold i think-there is a bolt there for it, but the whole engine is grounded due to this, so you should be able to put a jumper lead onto any bolt, just make sure its a good electrical connection, ie: No paint or oil, grease....that's bad for a good connection.

Comment

Working...
    X