Sunk 96XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunk 96XP

I'll try to keep this short as possible. Last year one of my 2 96 XP's got a hole in the exhaust pipe and basically filled the hull with water. I was able to start it and get it back to the trailer (and also had the holes welded). I immediately pulled the plugs and turned it over a few times as I believe is the recommendation when this happens. When I got it home, I cleaned the entire inside out but since I was unable to start it (dead battery) I could only get stabilizer into the gas tank prior to putting up for the winter.

Well, I just got it out of storage a couple of weeks ago and wanted to double-check everything prior to starting it. When I pulled off the top of the electrical box in the back of the ski it was full of water. Everything was rusted and in pretty bad shape. I was able to clean it all though and after putting a new battery in it, and a lot of turning over, it finally started (though it smoked pretty bad).

I didn't have either of these skis winterized as I normally do, but here's my question. Since the hull was filled with water, is there anything special I should do prior to taking it out on the water? I mean, is it probable that most of the grease, etc. washed out when it was full of water and should I pay particular attention to getting everything clean. Would it be easiest just to take the hit in the wallet and have a Sea Doo dealer check it out for me?

You all have always been a great help in the past and I"m looking forward to what options you think I have and what the best way is to get this ski back out on the water this year without additional headaches.

Re: Sunk 96XP

I would go throught EVERYTHING grease your zerks everywhere make sure you go through the carbs. pull the head and check for rust in the cylinders check EVERYTHING entirely.

Comment

Re: Sunk 96XP

You will be lucky if the the internals of the engine dont look like the internals of the black box. Good luck. But if it still runs, ride it like you stole it....

Comment

Working...
      X