97 XP starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 XP starting Problem

I just installed a new engine and oil block off kit. Premixed with fresh gas. everything was ready to go. I hit the start switch and it turned over but didn't start. I let off the start button for a few seconds and attemped again. This time I got no response. the starter did not turn over, no clicks no nothing. I pulled the DESS key off and put it back on, got two beeps, but still no response when I hit the start button. I checked the connections and everything looks good. I don't know where to look next.

Any Suggestions?

Jon
    '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Re: 97 XP starting Problem

Your battery is low or bad.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I put a brand new battery in. I did check that after the starting problem too.
      '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

Recheck all fuses.
        Try jumping the solenoid.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

And after filling your battery, how long did you let it sit and how long did you charge it for, and on what setting, before you tried using it?

Comment

The battery is an odyssey sealed battery brand new this past weekend. Bill, I will recheck and try to jump the solenoid.
            Jon
            '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

After you jump it, tell us what happened.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Check the voltage just to make sure - never assume. My second one died on me this weekend, I'll never buy one of those POS batteries again.

Comment

What do you mean.... the Odyssey batteries are junK?
                  How did they die? I was told that is the best battery you can get.

Can I expect problems with mine?

Comment

They work a lot better than a regular, when they work! They provide more current, twice as long as a regular. I thought my first failure was a fluke, but this one takes the cake. This last battery was a little over a year old, and I kept it inside the house during storage. It blew 1/2 it's cells inside, dropped to 6v. The last one dropped cells too, down to just under 10v. It seems like since Hawker Energy sold the brand a couple years ago, they are a completely different battery. They WERE a very good battery, that I used and recomended without any failures. For get that now though!

Comment

Ok, last night I opened the box where the solenoid is, to jumped solenoid and noticed that the other unit that is next to the solenoid was pretty rusty where the wires connect to is. I did jump the solenoid and the starter kicked over. But the starter will not turn over when trying to use the start/stop button. Is this corrossion causing my problem?? I will post a pic later to clarify.
                      '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

Replace the solenoid and clean the rust off of all the connections.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

how many volts is your meter showing?

Comment

I did replace the solenoid and cleaned all the connections in the box. I attempted to start it once again and it DID turn over this time. (Thanks Bill) However, I attempted to start the fresh motor for the first time and could not get it to fire. A couple of chuggs then it would just turn. After two short attempts All I got was a clicking sound from the starter attempting to turn. I Tried once more and the starter did not attempt to turn. The clicking then came from the solenoid area. I then put a voltmeter on the battery and it was 12.64v. The chart with the battery told me that it is fully charged at 12.84v, 75% at 12.50. I did pull the battery and have it charging right now. Do you think this is my problem or is there more to my problems?

Thanks for the help.
                            Jon
                            '95 HX<br />'97 XP

Comment

I replace batteries everyday that read 12.5 V on the meter, but do not have enough kick left in them to start a Sea Doo 787,951 motor.

First thing I do is try a new battery. If it works, it saves a ton of unnessary work trying to find a problem that does not exist.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM

Comment

Working...
                              X