97 xp strange acceleration problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 xp strange acceleration problem

hi, i have a 97 xp with a new sbt engine in it (the last engine failed from water ingestion) . i now have a couple of hours on it and have a acceleration problem. when i accelerate slowly it will take off and run up to around 35 MPH and this is all the faster it will go. if i quick pump the throttle twice while accelerating it takes of and runs great (almost 60 MPH). but if i slow back down and try to speed back up again it will only go 35 MPH until i either pump the throttle very fast twice or pull the choke out quickly. once i get up above 35-40 MPH it runs fine and i have checked the plugs after running it at high speeds and they seem fine (nice tan color). i have been thru the carbs and they are spotless. i have tried to richen it up a little by opening the high speeds out 1/2 turn and this has absolutely no effect on it. it just does not seem to open up and go unless i pump a little extra fuel in it with the accelerator pump or the choke. i do not know why it wont make it through this transition without a little extra fuel. i have also tried to richen up the idle mixture adjustments all the way out to 2.5 turns and this has not helped either. i have searched the forums and not found anything like this problem. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Re: 97 xp strange acceleration problem

If you did not get two rebuild kits and actually rebuild the carbs, you did nothing to them. They can not be opened and 'gone through' or 'cleaned'.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

salt or freshwater ski
      have you replaced the fuel selector switch..?

Comment

this is a fresh water machine. I checked the fuel valve last week and it flows great. The carbs were rebuilt with rebuild kits last summer (before i bought the machine). I had the carbs apart last week just to check them over and to verify that the jets were stock and that the filters were clean.

Comment

This sound exactly like what my brother's GSX did before he replace the RAVE paddles with the updated ones.

Comment

this is a sbt engine, so it has new rave valves in it.

Comment

New kits last summer doesn't mean a thing. Carbs can get dirty anytime they are run, especially from sitting without good stabilized fuel in them. Given that the choke makes a difference, I'm confident this is only a carb problem, and I would rebuild them properly again.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Make sure the water regulator valve on top of the muffler is working correctly.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

how do you verify the water valve operation. i ordered the carb kits today so that will be next. but i would like to check out that water valve

Comment

Try typing "water regulator" in our search on this website.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

watch the SBT vid's on cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, then do that to yours.

Comment

Working...
                      X