1993 GTX engine not turning over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 GTX engine not turning over

I have a 1993 GTX. It ran fine last year (except needing some carb work to replace the needle valve) up until I put it in the shed for winter. I kept heat in there over winter to avoid freezing of the exhaust.

I charged the battery and when I tried to start the starter turns and grinds but the motor does not sound like its turning over. I plan to take out the plugs to night and check for compression and check spark.

I have no idea how it would have locked up over the winter when it was turning over fine when I put it away. I suppose if water got from the exhaust into the engine (don't know how since not tipped on its side) it could have led to rust buildup that is locking up the cylinders? I did not spray any oil in the engine so I suppose rust could have resulted from condensation over the winter? Did not have this problem in prior years though.

How can I manually try to rotate the engine to see if it is locked up or to see if I can break it free? I will take the intake cover on the pump off and see if I can rotate the shaft there. Don't know if there is a way to access inside the engine compartment though to rotate turn the engine over manually.

Any help is appreciated.

:^D

Re: 1993 GTX motor locked?

What, if anything, did you do to winterize?

Take out the spark plugs and take off the plastic cover over the PTO, that will let you turn it by hand - or not.

If you just let the battery sit all winter, it may be dead. Read the voltage.

You can't do a compression test if you can't turn it over.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You should be able to take wing nuts off of the gray caover behind the engine. This is the PTO cover. (The white wheel on the back.) You should then be able to turn that by hand to rotate your engine. you may have to pull your plugs to reduce resistance from compression. good luck!

Comment

Thanks folks....that is what I suspected on the PTO. I've had it open before but never messed with the shaft as far as trying to turn it. I understand the rotation is counterclockwise when facing from the rear of the seadoo.

I 'll break out my big thick repair and maintenance manual to supplement this information.

No....I'm a big DumbA** and didn't do anything to winterize....a bad habit of mine. I've heard of fogging these motors before storing which I presume is a protection against rust and seizing during storage. <sigh>

We shall see.....

Thanks again.

Comment

Read the tech article on winterizing. It rotates either way - or should at least. If you are locked up, time for a new engine or complete rebuild.

Comment

1993 GTX engine not turning over

Okay.....I disconnected the plugs, pulled the PTO cover and was able to turn the motor over by hand fairly easily (it took some effort indicating good compression) last night. So the motor (THANK GOD) is not siezed.

I again hit the switch and the same result.....starter is cranking but it doesn't sound like the motor is turning over.

I did not take out the plugs and check this to be sure but it doesn't sound like the starter is cranking over the motor.

Battery was charged so starter is turning easily...could the starter be bad or what???

Comment

Re: 1993 GTX engine not turning over

Do not start new threads as replies. Merging.

Comment

The starter clutch on it's end may be bad (get a new starter), the flywheel mayve have broken, the nut may not have been torqued correctly allowing the flywheel to shear the woodruff key, or you may have broken/stripped gear teeth.

Comment

Usually, this is a bendix gear problem on the end of the starter motor, The starter motor spins but does not engage in the flywheel, or kicks out before the motor can start.

You can replace the bendix ( AKA starter clutch) by removing the starter from the ski.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Okay....thankx guys.

I realized I could observe the pto to see if it turns rather than popping out the spark plugs after I posted.
                    Guess I will tear into the starter and see if I can find the problem.

Any idears on cost of a whole new starter assembly for this model doo or if you can even get one on a machine this old?

Last edited by jorjenzak; 06-16-2005, 01:50 PM. Reason: smilie still wrong....removing

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=39

Comment

Working...
                      X