96 XP wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP wont start

Just installed an SBT motor, it'll crank over just fine, but doesnt start. I'm pretty sure the overall reason is obvious, it's not getting fuel. I emptied the inline filter and when i crank the motor over, no fuel is being drawn into it, so it's obviously not ever reaching the motor. The carbs were fine prior to the new motor, the only thing i changed with the carbs were installing new carb filters. Maybe it's possible one of the gaskets or diaphrams inside the carb was moved or torn when installed? All the fuel lines in the boat are new.

any thoughts? Should i pull the carbs apart again? The carbs were rebuilt about 40motor hrs ago, but that was also 2 years, timewise.

Thanks!
    bob
    Last edited by boostedws6; 06-19-2005, 04:59 PM.

Re: 96 XP wont start

did you prime everything to get it to start pulling fuel to the carbs through the system? Have you checked your selector valve

Comment

selector valve is clean. prime everything? how would i go about doin this? rag in the exhaust? :)

Comment

Spray fogging oil in the cylinders for lube then pour a little fuel in the carbs to get it started pulling the fuel to the carbs it should start filling up the fuel bowl then work its way tot he carbs from there.

Comment

hmm....
          okay i fogged the cylinders and poured about 1oz of premixed fuel into each carb. Motor turns over just fine but it never starts. If i'm pouring fuel directly into the carbs, it has to be making it's way into the cylinders right? Maybe it's not getting spark? I would test it by removing the plugs and grounding them to see if they spark, but i'm a little reluctant to do that just yet because of the fumes from the fuel :) then again, if it wont ignite in the cylinders.... lol

anything else i should check? I have primed the system.

thanks!
          Bob

Comment

Are you sure the fuel lines are on correctly? Is the oring in the fuel bowl? Are you sure it is on tight and not pinched? Have you taken the inlet fuel line off the carb and made sure that it is flowing through the lines?

Comment

YA double check the oring on the filter

Comment

Did you hook up the pulse line from the crankcase to the carb?

If you knew,then you'd know!

Comment

I know the plugs are firing, i verified that this morning. What makes me curious, if i poured an ounce of fuel in each carb, shouldnt the motor at least ignite that fuel and try to start? That never happened.

I'm pretty sure the o-ring is fine on the fuel bowl, but i'll double check it when i get home. I'll also verify that the fuel lines are hooked up correctly, but they should be since i never removed them when i pulled the motor out (except the pulse line, but that's been reconnected.)

I did open up the carbs to replace the internal carb filters, but everything was put back together. Is is possible that one of the internal carb gaskets got torn or something along those lines?

thanks!
                  Bob

Comment

Remove the return line from the carbs. Remove the on line to the carbs. Blow into the return line and you should see fuel coming out of the on line. reconnect the on line to the carbs. blow into the return line until you see fuel coming out of the return line fitting on the carbs. Re-conect the return line to the carbs. You are now primed and ready to start.
                    If it does not start, but has spark, you probably have the rotary valve timed wrong, or you misaligned the magneto cup on the flywheel..
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

okay, i think the Mag cup is aligned properly now, would someone take a look and confirm? is the trigger supposed to be directly inline with the hole on the flywheel?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75042041AUjLvx

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75042098YRPbvg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75042145LBmKHW

After doing this, i put everything back together, poured a little fuel in the carbs, but the boat still wouldnt start. Maybe i put too much fuel in the carbs? I'm going to make sure the carbs are primed tomorrow, but shouldnt it start with fuel in poured directly in the carbs? How much fuel should i put in it? Since the motor is cold, i'm also using the choke, good idea?

Also, as far as the rotary timing goes, i'm pretty sure it's dead on. With the mag side piston as TDC and the 0/360 of the degree wheel at the bottom of the mag side intake port, the leading edge of the rotor was @ 146 degrees. That's as close to 147 is it would get. That should be correct, right?

thanks!
                      bob
                      Last edited by boostedws6; 06-21-2005, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Magneto cup looks correct. Have you looked at your plugs to determine if they are wet with fuel, not just fogging oil? Have you primed the fuel system as Bill suggested? You could pull the plugs, place the plug wires on the grounding posts and with a rag over top of the head, crank the motor a couple of times to blow out the cylinders, they may have to much oil in there. Pull the boots off of the plug wires and clip them back 1/4 of an inch to get a good connection.
                        "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

i'll give it a shot to blow out the cylinders tonight and prime the system. I just hate to turn the motor over so much, afraid of damaging anything. even with the system primed, should i pour some fuel into the carbs? if so, how much? :D

Comment

once system is primed and feeding gas to the carbs you wont need the fuel in the carbs you should be riding it.

Comment

Working...
                            X