Possible Engine Seizure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Engine Seizure??

I am looking for some qualified input on this issue because my next decision may cost me an engine.

THE STORY:

I ran my 1999 SD GTI for the first time this year this weekend. It started and idled just fine but when I took off it ran about 500 yds and lost power as if out of gas. I repeated this one more time before stopping for inspection. On inspection, I determined that there was emulsified water in the oil system (in the tank, pump feed line and circulation lines). The engine did stop running each time but was able to be restarted immediately where it would idle fine, just no off idle power. It appeared to be obvious to me after my initial inspection that the engine was shutting down because it was getting very little lubrication, runnign hot and beginning to seize.

THE WORK:

I went home and removed all gas and oil and replaced the gas with premix and the cleaned out oil tank with fresh oil. I also removed the rotary valve cover to remove and dismantle the oil pump for inspection (it looked ok except for the water). After reassembly, it starts and seems to run fine (on the hose), good idle with good crisp revs. I also have not run it for longer that a minute or two. I have run it five times now letting it cool off completely each time. I also do not hear any obvious engine noise like rods, wrist pins, etc.

THE QUESTION:

What should I do now. Can I take it out and run it and it maybe be okay?

Re: Possible Engine Seizure??

Unfortunately the damage is done. It will run for some time, however it will go - and with lower end damage it can add up real fast, when a rod goes and you end up with a broken or totaled case, or worse. It may be the next time you go out, it might be in a month - no one can tell. But it will happen.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Any other opinons on this issue. I am kind of desperate to hear some better news.

Comment

Thats not exactly right, i had a piston break, and a rod go in one cylinder, and there WAS no crankcase damage. I was lucky yes, but MOST of the time it will damage it, but theres like a 1% chance it wont. I lucked out and had that 1%. But yes after all that water damage you engine will eventually break a rod, or the crank will sieze.

Comment

If you didn't want an accurate assesment, and just wanted people to say what you wanted to hear, you should have said so.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes, I hear you.
            I once had a customer who had an older sea doo with an oil tank half full of water. They rode it for a weekend with oil/water going into the engine.
            I cleaned out the oil tank and lines and that old Sea Doo ran for years afterwards.

As long as the bearings got some lubrication and they did not rust while sitting in their garage after they finished using it, it turned out to be no big deal.

In 1988-1989, Sea Doo had an oil filler fitting riveted to the hull where the oil is put into the tank. It was white in color. They all cracked. Water would enter the oil tank. We replaced hundreds of them with the superceded black fitting over the next few years. Most of those motors got contaminated oil in them. None of them blew up that I know about.

Maybe you will be so fortunate. But I suspect you may have some piston /clyinder wall damage if yours shut off due to lack of lubrication.

I would do a compression test, and a sound test. I can hear pistons that clatter when I listen for them closely. If it siezed, the pistons will clatter. The harder it siezed the louder the pistons will clatter.

Any deviation in compresson between the clyinders should be taken seriously. If you find one clyinder is 4-5 lbs lower than the other, that will be the one that siezed.

Unless an engine is run for a long time without oil, the crankshaft will probably survive. It will usually sieze a piston long before the crankshaft bearings are damaged.

You might consider doing a top end job. When you have the clyinders off, you can at least see the rods and the rod thrust washers. If the rods or the thrust washers are blued from heat, rusty rods or bearings or frayed washers replace the complete motor.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I thought Tech gave you about as much good news as you could expect. You probably can run it a while, but you probably have lots of wear on all bearing surfaces. There's nothing 'magic' you can do now. If you don't want to pay now, then get it back running, do compression checks (cyl and block) and see how it does. If it's ok, then you probably have just considerable bearing wear, which will get worse, but you can ride it if you want to pay more later (potentially). As soon as bearing surfaces have some wear, even with proper lubrication, they move more and create more wear faster.

Probably a ticking time bomb. How much use could you get out of it w/o major work? Too hard for anyone to know.

Comment

Working...
              X