03 xpdi oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 xpdi oil consumption

I checked my ski and it is using 5 pints of oil for 18 gallons of gas. This is quit a bit more than the polaris(96 slx 780) I own. Is this a normal amount of oil to burn? Also how would I adjust this on the xpdi?
    Thanks!

Re: 03 xpdi oil consumption

After doing several searches it looks like I should get 4 to 5 gas tanks full per tank of oil. Right now its running 28.8 to 1.
    I also found one that shows where the marks should line up on the pump arm.
    I still need to know how to adjust this. Where the cable attaches to the pump there is no room for adjusting here. Can I loosen the pump arm and adjust there? Is there any other spot to adjust the cable where it runs under the air intake?
    Thanks

Comment

The adjustment on the cable is at the other end, not the pump side. It's a simple double nut adjuster.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I would also do a plug-chop to see if indeed it's burning too much oil for the unit. Slow and fast are different on a lot of units, so I'd check those plugs after riding fast for a while then killing engine.

Comment

If you follow the cable up and away from the oil pump, you may find a simple cable adjuster in the middle of the cable. Some later models have a split throttle cable. Loosen the jam nut, adjust the cable, and tighten the jam nut. Very simple.

Some models require that you loosen the cable at the bracket on the carbs, then adjust and re-tighten the jam nut there.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I tried following the cable back but it is tight under the airbox and looks like I would have to remove part of the exhaust and maybe the airbox to see if there is an adjustment under there. Is it possible the cable splits in the handle bars and I could make adjustments there?
            Surveyguy: I will plan on making a few highspeed and chop runs to check the plugs before making any changes. Thanks!

Comment

Like I said, some models do not have that adjuster in the cable, some do. If the oil cable goes to the carbs, then, no, you cannot adjust it anywhere but at the carbs. Removing the pipe is not necessary as you will be doing nothing that requires removing the pipe.
              If you look below the headpipe in front of the carbs you will see a cable with a nut on a bracket connected to the carb body that you loosen to adjust the cable. It might help to remove the airbox to get better access. There is a 10mm nut on both sides of the bracket on the cable end. By moving these nuts in or out, you lengthen or shorten the oil cable, changing the calibration of the oil pump.

To view the oil pump and the alignment marks on it, you need a flashlight and a mirror.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill.
                I will be at the cabin this weekend and check it out.

Comment

Working...
                X